Author Topic: polishing a lock  (Read 2634 times)

projeeper

polishing a lock
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:06:03 AM »
i was starting to take my lock apart to start polishing and the thought of putting it in a case tumbler for a few hours-days it should come out shinging like a new dime.
 pros/cons

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: polishing a lock
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:26:10 AM »
Jeeper, that will round off all the sharp edges, and not polish the inside corners. You may also enlarge the tumbler hole, I doubt it, but it's possible.

How about filing and rough sanding/stoning and then give a final blend in the tumbler? You might get a nice soft look. Fit a plug for the tumbler hole so it gets no abrasion. Fill the screw holes with modeling clay. i'm not recommending this as a procedure, but if you're bound and determined, plug them holes.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
I would worry about all the holes in the plate getting beveled I'm not sure if plugging them with clay would work. maybe epoxy would be better then heat it up later and press it out. Don't think this it's a good idea in my opinion :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:36:25 AM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:39:31 AM »
if you have any old crappy locks or lock plates i would use this first to see what kind of results you will be getting!!!!sounds like a good idea but and would save some work and time....might hit ya in the wallet if you have to replace a lock....

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:43:19 AM »
Wow Pro.......why would you want to eliminate one of the really "fun" parts of gun building?  Tumbler?   Gee, you might
as well hold it against a polishing wheel.  Just joking here.....you should realize that this is one of the jobs that requires
hand work if you  want it to look half deacent.............Don