Author Topic: ...Rawhide  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

...Rawhide
« on: February 06, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
 .......Can anyone suggest a source for groundhog or raccoon skin in rawhide for a special scabbard project...?? :-\ ??? :(

Offline J Henry

Re: ...Rawhide
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:46:47 AM »
  No Raccoon/groundhog but I have some ,19, hides some black,blue-black,tan-cream/brown.Some are smooth clipped,fur all the same length,couple are long and curley. What are you looking for,fur in those animals or just fur??

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
Give Curt Lyles a call. He usually has some groundhog hides withing reach though I dont know if its bark tanned or in just rawhide form. You can goggle his info
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
CCF  I have some deer raw hide on hand ,how much do you need.Curt

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
......About  12" X 9" should do the job, boys....just plain old, untanned, no hair, stiff rawhide .....Thanx, send me a message with price and where to send the money.......

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:27 AM »
Moscow Hide and Fur, call them up, they have all kinds of unusual stuff. Real good folks to do business with as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
I have had good luck with rawhide bones from The Dollar Tree. Simply throw it in the kitchen sink with some warm water, watch an episode of Gunsmoke,  remove rawhide bone and untie ends flatten and Voilà a piece of rawhide for $1 and its perfect for knife sheaths.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:02:55 AM »
....Thanx......Great idea......Off to dollar tree....!!!!