Author Topic: York Shoot sight question  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
York Shoot sight question
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
Is a Lyman 17 type front sight ok at the Alvin York shoot? It will be my first time shooting chunk and I'm not quite sure.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Online smylee grouch

Re: York Shoot sight question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
I think it has to be an open sight but I think a shader is OK.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
This is taken from previous event article.  I don't think the rules have changed.

RULES: Rifles may be flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or ‘old style’ traditional target type, with no limit to weight or caliber. No false muzzles, no sealed ignition, no in-line actions, no thumbhole or adjustable stocks and no padded buttplates. Rifles must shoot black powder w/ patched lead round balls, no bullets. Shaders are permitted, but must not extend pass the rear of the breech. Rear sights should be open sights at least 6” in front of the breech. Front sights should be blade, pin-head or post. The use of barrel rests (cant blocks) or sandbags on the chunk are permitted and encouraged. Only the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, no sandbags or blocks of wood  allowed under the butt of rifle and no gloves of any kind. Butt of the rifle may not touch the ground.

from:  http://www.fentresscouriernews.com/21st-annual-sgt-alvin-c-york-memorial-shoot-set-for-saturday-march-23rd/

More general info on OverTheLog/Chunk shooting for any who are interested:    http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml

I plan to make the York.  Gotta get my accessories and loading in order...time is slipping away.   ::)

Also, latest Facebook(FB) info: https://www.facebook.com/events/182038122271393/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:41:09 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Online Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
I shot the York last year with that Lyman front sight on my rifle. It is considered to be "shaded" and within the rules.
Here's a tip you may find helpful:
As I was going through my open rear sight options, I found that all the choices I owned were too "coarse" for the kind of precision required at the York.. namely, being able to shoot a one hole group from 60 yds on your "sighter". To resolve that , I filled the notch in with JB weld. After it dried, I cut a very much reduced notch with a small jeweler's file. Worked great..!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 03:48:16 AM »
JB weld would work. Another one I have seen more than once is a small flat plate soldered on to the back of the rear sight with a new notch filed into it.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Wade, I saw those same rules but they were just not clear enough to me. I guess Don answered the question. With that being said, I opted to go with a regular post and use shaders. This Saturday I'll shoot it for the first time and see if it will group.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
Can someone take some pictures while you're there?  It would be interesting just to see a little bit of what I hear.

Thanks

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
The 'cheater' chunk sight, is a tall U notch close to the breech, with a bead front sight. The U notch is used as an aperture sight. The rules state, iirc from Don, Getz teachings, that the top opening of the notch cannot be tighter than it's greatest width.

The bead was held in the bottom of the U, equi-distant from the sides and bottom. With minor amount of practice this sight is no different in actual use, from any aperture sight. there is simply not a top to it - practice is all that is needed.

The sight's description as such, was shown to me in E-mails a long time ago through pictures of the actual sight. I no longer have those pictures however the rear sight was adjustable for both windage and elevation.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
About fine sights...years ago, when Daryl and I could see, we used to cut the notches in our rear sight using a knife blade and a hammer.  Just a light tap on a sharp knife gave a perfect fine sight notch.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use that sight now?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 05:12:01 AM »
@!*% - THAT was a LONG time ago. Barely remember that, but do - for now.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline diamante

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 11:40:13 PM »
It wasn't half a continent away, I'd show up just so's y'all would have someone willing to lay claim to being the worst chunker of the day.  :D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »
It wasn't half a continent away, I'd show up just so's y'all would have someone willing to lay claim to being the worst chunker of the day.  :D

This reminds me of a long range shooter at Friendship that said he'd be sorely vexed
if he got beat out of last place at 500 yards.
Another one,a Brit said "Alcohol is the answer but I don't remember the question".

Bob Roller