Author Topic: Questions on Southern Rifles  (Read 4236 times)

northmn

Questions on Southern Rifles
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:31:12 AM »
Couple of questions.  On the long tangs are all held in by wood screws, one tang screw to the trigger guard or do they use a couple?  Most seem to have double set triggers.  While I am going to use a single trigger anyway, I just wondered if they were common.  The BHC Whale rifle used one but I cannot recall seeing any others without a DST except for one Hersel House built.

DP

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Questions on Southern Rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »
Northmn,
When you say Southern rifles you sure are taking in a lot of territory. 
Double triggers are without a doubt the most common on rifle made in TN and the surrounding areas.
Longs tangs and mostly held by just screws.  You will see tang bolts used but not near as common.  The trigger plate is captured under the trigger guard or undercut in the frint and held by the rear screw in the trigger plate.  I feel safer using a tang bolt so all of mine have tang bolt.  The only problem doing that is making your screw head and tang bolt head match.  You'll need to turn the tang bolt down to match the screws.  That's not real hard to do with a hand drill. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
I have been a little unsure of terminology.  My soft spot lies with iron mounted Tennessee rifles so I should have just said a Tennessee rifle.  Never even thought about the front trigger guard.  Thanks for the pointer.  I have gotten my 25 caliber Rayl barrel and am enjoying the building.  Currently I am planning on making a Tennessee rifle as they scream squirrel rifle to me (and I can complete it before squirrel season).  Plan on making the hardware (not a buttplate, other ideas on that line including deer antler) .  Ken, I use your web site for ideas on these rifles.  Funny how a Far North Yankee can be attracted to that type of rifle, but I really like them.

DP

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
Northmn, Sorry, but just "Tennessee" doesn't cut it either.  There is East tennessee, Mid Tennessee, and West tennessee rifles.  Plus there are several sub groups like Upper East Tennessee, Soddy-Daisy, and Ken Guy..... ;D  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

northmn

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
Here I thought we dreamed of returning to simpler times.  Now life is complicated.  Plan on making a "North" Tennessee rifle.

DP

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
northmn,
I'm glad to hear my website has been of some help.  I haven't gave it the attention of late that it should get.  I'll try to keep some updated material on there now that I know folks are looking. 

Life is just as complicated in the South as up North.   ;) 

C. Cash

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »
Your rifles are spectacular Mr. Guy.  Makes me heartsick for a fine East TN rifle.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:08:32 AM »
One of the  things that complicates things in these rifles is the level of build one wants to go.  they are a simpler rifle as far as engraving and patchboxes.  One can even go without buttplates, nose caps and entry thimbles.  Part of the attraction in building one. 

DP

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:30:32 AM »
Northmn,
That is very true.  It seems you can find and exception to every rule.  If you look, as Bookie pointed out there are very specific schools as well.  We discussed the geography of Southern rifles; the other thing is the time span covered.  These Appalachia Mt. rifles have been produced pretty much continuously since the late 1700s.  That's a lot of possible exceptions to the rule.

C. Cash,
Thanks for the kind words. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:40:51 AM by Ken Guy »