Author Topic: Barrel pins or wedges  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Mauser06

Barrel pins or wedges
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
So, while browsing contemporary pieces and I believe some original pieces, I keep coming across some that have barrels secured with something that I'm not sure what it is.

They are bigger than typical pins. But look smaller than a typical barrel wedge pin.  Sometimes with inlays but sometimes without. Often they appear to be flush with the stock like a pin. Not like say a TC wedge pin...

What are they?? 

I can't seem to find a period of school of which they are appropriate or used..But I see them on some pieces...

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Barrel pins or wedges
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
     Some original builders used wedges, slides or whatever you want to call them.  These wedges were sometimes headed with a small formed head and sometimes just a slightly wedge shaped piece of sheet stock.  Most were made of iron, but I have seen them made from brass.  They seemed to run around .040 thick and few exceeded 3/8" wide at the widest point.  they were carefully fit to wedge tight and then dressed off to the surface of the stock.  Many were carefully made and fitted, while others seem rather crude.  Then as now you had all levels of builders and price brackets for work.  Of course I assume some that you see are replacements, crudely made to replace wedges lost long ago.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mauser06

Re: Barrel pins or wedges
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the info! 

The more I "study" the less I know lol. Or the more I study, the more questions I have.

Very interesting stuff.