Author Topic: Fullstock Hawken finished  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Fullstock Hawken finished
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:05:30 AM »
Thought I would share my first attempt at a fullstock Hawken.  This is gun build #11 for me. I think it turned out pretty well. I might have made the cheek piece a little smaller.   Besides that I am pretty happy with it. Those Hawken buttplates sure are fun.

Vulcan

Re: Fullstock Hawken finished
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:48 AM »
You did a real nice job. I wish I had half the skill to try that.

Congrats.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:35:19 AM »
Very nice rifle and the wood color / finish is great also ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Thought I would share my first attempt at a fullstock Hawken.  This is gun build #11 for me. I think it turned out pretty well. I might have made the cheek piece a little smaller.   Besides that I am pretty happy with it. Those Hawken buttplates sure are fun.

Good looking rifle.If you make another one there is a "Hawken"Butt plate with a deep crescent that
is a "booger"to inlet. I sold my last one yesterday. The last one I used was on a copy of a Carlos Gove
rolling block styled like a Hawken.

Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Justin,
I am going to comment on one area since you kind of touched on it when you mentioned making the cheekpiece a little smaller.  From the pictures it appears that the cheek piece is too convex and the transition to the comb is also too thick.  If you had made the cheekpiece more concave, that hollow shape would of transitioned your comb, especially the nose, to a less bulky look.  I don't think the cheekpiece is too large, you just left too much wood on it.  Overall fit and finish looks good.  Hopefully I will get to see and handle the gun in August at Bill's.  I am planning on attending, hopefully you will be too.
David   

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the input Dave. That makes sense it is pretty convex now that I look at that more closely.  If in doubt, take off more wood as they say. I might have it in August, if I don't sell it first. I have a shoot this weekend, and I'm going to the Cascade Mountain men show next month to sell some blacksmith stuff and a gun or two. Are you going to the show?