Author Topic: Rifle for my Fiancé?  (Read 4084 times)

Tennessee.45

Rifle for my Fiancé?
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:56 AM »
My fiancé wants me to build her a rifle, she's shot my .58 "Virginia " rifle with a 42" barrel and wants a shorter lighter rifle, I'm thinking about using a colrain 36" straight oct in .40-.50 but I'm afraid it will be too front heavy for her, would like everyone's opinion on where to start.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:08:59 AM by Tennessee.45 »

Offline Elnathan

Re: Rifle for my Fiancé?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:10 AM »
If you are worried about it being too muzzle heavy:

Jim Chambers' Little Fella rifle has a 37" swamped barrel. If you don't want to get a kit you can always just get the barrel.

38" swamped barrels are available in a variety of sizes and calibers from a number of different manufacturers.

What kind of rifle does she want? That might be a good place to start.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:26:03 AM »
What size is she?  Average-ish  5'4'' ?? 

I second the Chambers LFR.

I just did an Ohio rifle with some Tracks parts and some variations.  I used a 13/16th 36", 45 cal.  It is very well balanced in my hands.  30' would be plenty long though  I also used a but-plate with little less curve.  She may prefer a less curved but-plate depending on her figure.   Anyway I am likeing it pretty well. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:29:20 AM by Scota4570 »

Tennessee.45

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »
She's about 5'5-5'6 130lbs she likes the issac haines, Dickert, Lancaster schools, as well as southern guns (Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina) I can't afford a kit right now so I was going to buy pieces as I got the money.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »
Use a 38" B profile in 50 cal. In a southern mountain rifle stock. I have built several like this a great handling guns.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
All I know who have ever handled a 38 in B weight .50 cal barrelled rifle have loved it.

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
I agree with Dennis as well.  I have made a hand full of rifles in that configuration and they feel great.  I have one coming up on the list of things to do shortly.
                                                                                                                                                                      Roger

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
If you really want to cut more weight off go to an Oct/Round in the 38" swamped.  It may be too light for her for good offhand target shooting, but it's a great carrying weight/hunting weight.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
Take a look at Brad Emig's web site "Cabin Creek Muzzleloading"  If your fiancé likes the Dickert/Lancaster school you should check out Brad's ladies/boys rifle.  The barrel length might be a bit short but worth looking at.   http://cabincreek.net/revspecs/boys-and-ladies-rifle/
I have made 3 ladies rifles using 38" swamped barrels that I cut back to 36", 2 in .50 caliber and 1 in .45.  They are balanced well and held great.
David

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
Don't worry so much about the 50 cal if your hunting squirrels, just reduce your powder charge to about 25 to 30 grains.  Aim Center mass and you won't lose any meat.... They are partially cleaned for you as well.  And, Oh by the way.... They don't twitch after they come out of the tree. ::) ::)

Tennessee.45

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »
Would She/I notice a big difference at the muzzle end with a 36" 13/16 straight barrel in .45 over a 38" swamped b weight .50?

Offline ScottH

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
A lot of experienced shooters and builders say that swamped barrels balance better than straight barrels.
Given that the difference in price between a Rice straight barrel and a Rice swamped barrel with plug installed is only about $40.00, I would spend the money and get a swamped barrel. (just my humble opinion)  ;D

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
 I would use a straight taper or a swamped barrel.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »
I've got a sweet little 14 bore for sale?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Tennessee.45

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 04:38:53 AM »
Anyone using plain maple or walnut on their guns? And what's everyone's opinion on red maple vs sugar maple?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 04:53:18 AM »
Plain maple can make for a beautiful rifle...just look at some of J. Kibler's work.  I like walnut, but it depends on the style of gun and the piece of wood..
Red maple can be really nice if you get a hard piece. Although I'm told they tend to the softer side, I've had a couple that would rival sugar maple for hardness. If you're buying sight unseen, you need to be specific about what you're looking for.

Tennessee.45

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
I'm trying to decide if I want to do the rifle from a blank or get one of Fred's profiled stocks from knob mountain, is it worth the extra money to have the stock shaped/profiled?

I've only worked with precarved stocks so this is a bit new to me
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:58:36 PM by Tennessee.45 »

ron w

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »
Plain maple can make for a beautiful rifle...just look at some of J. Kibler's work.  I like walnut, but it depends on the style of gun and the piece of wood..
Red maple can be really nice if you get a hard piece. Although I'm told they tend to the softer side, I've had a couple that would rival sugar maple for hardness. If you're buying sight unseen, you need to be specific about what you're looking for.

agreed, good Longleaf or Red maple can be almost as hard as Sugar.