Author Topic: Need some advice on a ramrod issue  (Read 2716 times)

oldarcher

Need some advice on a ramrod issue
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
I just can't be the first gunstocker that has run into this problem, but it's the first time I have encountered it. Please advise your thoughts....I am building a walnut Edward Marshall Transisonal rifle and the lock has been installed and the front lock bolt sets dead center in the ramrod hole which makes the ramrod about 2 1/2" shorter than it should be to properly use it to clean the rifle and load. It is not practical to relocate the lock bolt due to the lock position....what seems to have happened is that the ramrod drill wandered upward and located the hole too high and in the way of the lock bolt. I can't seem to think of a way to resolve this issue and am afraid that I am going to have to use a shorter ramrod with an extension to load/clean. It just pixxes me off to have this kind of problem with what is a very nice rifle except for this.  Thank you for your thoughts.
Tom 

Offline retired fella

Re: Need some advice on a ramrod issue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
Can you rechannel from the bottom barrel flat and fill?  Be sure to use a good releasing agent.  The offending lock bolt you might try plugging with a dowel that can be redrilled.     Stuff happens.....

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
If this gun is a precarve, first measure the true web thickness between the barrel channel and the ramrod hole. Then drill a small hole from the area where the front trigger guard extension will cover to the ram rod hole. Once again measure the true web thickness.  If you have the room you can lower the ramrod hole from the barrel channel side, then fit a piece of scrap to the bottom of the barrel channel to finish the job. Or you can go the fake lock bolt method. Use a short piece of the threaded end of the lock bolt and thread it into the tapped hole in the lock, leaving enough extra on the mortise side to form a hook later. Solder this in place. Form the hook, make and fit a mateing hook staple for the front of the lock mortise, and then, fit them up. Then make your fake bolt for the side plate. I hope this gives you some ideas to help. Or third, just use one lock bolt if your mortise is fitted well enough,and use a fake for the side plate. Or perhaps a heavily tapered ram rod and a notched lock bolt will suffice. This is certainly not the first time any of these fixes have been used. BJH
BJH

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
Many original arms notched the bottom of the barrel to permit clearance of the lock bolt, although this was more common with larger breech sizes.  In your case, since you already have the bolt located, the only options as I see them are (1) as aforementioned, dig in through the barrel channel and run the rammer hole a little deeper/more clearance.  You'll only be able to do so much, though, until you run into issues with rendering a too-fat forearm.  You can then patch in under the barrel, or not; it's really not necessary although over the long term it probably does add strength.  (2). You can notch the lock bolt a bit, however this will mean that the bolt will need to be indexed so that it tightens down to the same position every time to ensure the notch is oriented correctly.  Also you have to remember to withdraw the rammer when you loosen the bolt or you'll gouge a chunk out of it.  Either approach will most likely involve a tapered inner end to the rammer, which is characteristic of pretty much most original arms anyway.  Many original pieces taper down quite a bit, into the 1/4" diameter range, for this very reason.  As long as you're using a good piece of hickory it should not be an issue unless you're going with a super tight patch/ball combo.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »
Can you really not move the lock bolt higher on the lock plate by plugging the old hole?    Unless it is already at the top of the lock plate,  you should be able to move the lock bolt up maybe 1/8" and still cover the old hole with the side plate.     If you combine that move with a tapered rod, and maybe a notched lock bolt,  you could get around digging out the area under the barrel.    I just thought that I would make sure you had considered that option.   

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
I know this may be a dumb question but what about a do over.While I don't know the original posters situation tool wise.Could you not plug the old hole and re drill it where is supposed to be?I get the drill will naturally want to travel the old hole but if braced?He said the bolts dead center moving an eighth, shaving down the rod notching the bolt,still sounds like it might be in the channel.If it was a pre-carved stock redrilling might not work anyway if it was shaped around said hole,might not be enough wood at the base to move the hole down.

oldarcher

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
Thanks to all for the excellent advice...I did the following per your suggestions. I was able to lower the ramrod hole by milling a deeper slot with a round end mill cutter in my milling machine. I then filled the top of the new slot with some scrap that I had, (when I milled the slot for the ramrod I also milled a slightly wider top mortise) and simply inserted a new plate over the ramrod slot that I cut. The fit on the fill piece  is tight and cannot be really noticed when the barrel is removed so problem solved...thanks to all for the excellent suggestions.
Tom 

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:30:26 PM »
  Eliminate the front lock bolt, install an adjustable  catch in front of the lock to go in a recess in the inlet, and install a fake bolt head in the front of the side plate? that's what I did-it's still shootin.
                                                        Turtle

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »
Hook the front of the lock and make a fake screw for the side plate. The English did it by the thousands. Turtle and I posted at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:38:32 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.