Author Topic: Planks w/barrel channel and ramrod drilled  (Read 7523 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Planks w/barrel channel and ramrod drilled
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 03:34:08 AM »
All my builds including my first were from a plank. I plane the top and lock siides true and square to each other and lay out the barrel's minimum width on the top and set the depth on my table saw to cut to the depth the skinniest part of the barrel (if it's swamped) will set in the stock and with a rip fence cut two grooves that will be where the bottom flat is. Next I lower the blade and adjust fence and cut to the depth of the side flats. After this I cut off the top down to half the barrel depth. I hog out the rest with chisels and scrapers and inlet the breech. I kind of enjoy drilling rammer holes. I probably should not say this but haven't had one run astray yet. I use a bit brace and make my bits up with brad point drills brazed to a long rod. Lube with tallow and pull out and clean shavings out often.
I did one oct. round barrel build all with hand tools just to see if I could. Again I am doing this for a hobby for fun and am not in a hurry. I might well use a quicker method if I were trying to make a living at it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 03:35:28 AM »
I would rather do it by hand. Don't care how long it takes.

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 04:41:11 AM »
Mark Weader has done several barrel and RR inlets for me over that last couple of years.   He also does an excellent job on precarves.    Mark did a TN that I really like.   Absolutely no complaints.    I dropped off a blank at his shop on the way back from Dixons last July.  Mark gave me a tour of his shop etc.    It does get a little pricey shipping maple blanks around the country.   Mark will answer any questions over the phone.....nice guy.   Bruce

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 05:12:37 AM »
Glad to hear that Fred is still with us!
Give me a rush there for a minute!!
I bought a barrel from Rice and give it to Fred @ Lexington; Fred put it in a nice piece of Q maple and shipped it to me in a couple of weeks :)
Used to do the same thing with him and Don Getz @ Dixions years ago.
Sure do miss Don:(
"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
Sorry for the bad info -- got the wrong Fred :( ::).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
I can possibly arrange it to pick up my blank(s) from Tiger Hunt
Unless I'm mistaken, Tiger Hunt can inlet your barrel and do the ramrod if you drop your barrel off to him.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 06:26:28 AM »
Thanx TOF. I will certainly check.  I think their website says they can do Getz and Colerain swamps.  Wasnt sure if I went with a Rice or something.   He's like 2hrs east. So some phone calls and such will be made before I go anywhere.  And of course I will have a barrel in hand.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
You know they got this thing called Mail and you can just mail that thing anywhere you want right?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
So that is something I've been wondering.... isn't a 5-foot long chunk of wood along with a 3'-4' steel pipe kinda pricey to ship?

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
Mail?  What's a mail???   Lol.

I understand that's certainly an option. And very likely what I have to do.  But if it's a 200mi round trip it's say $30 in gas...And a days time. 

Just have to make phone calls when I'm ready and see how I can work it all out. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
If you're buying you stock blanks from him, send him your barrel to inlet so it's ready when you arrive to pick up your blanks.  He won't do it while you wait.  It's either two trips or mail him the barrel and one trip.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Mail?  What's a mail???   Lol.

I understand that's certainly an option. And very likely what I have to do.  But if it's a 200mi round trip it's say $30 in gas...And a days time. 

Just have to make phone calls when I'm ready and see how I can work it all out.
$30 worth of gas and a days drive adds up to be about $200 for me. Of course you know, since you hand deliver this stuff doesn't mean the barrel is going to be inlet while you wait....... unless you have a couple months of camping in the guy's yard in mind.

I can usually ship for $50-$60 for a plank and a barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »
  All depends on who's paying the tab. He might just enjoy the trip an checking someone's shop out. Oldtravler