Author Topic: frizzen to pan question  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

frizzen to pan question
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:04 AM »
Been polishing up my lock.
Was lookin at the area where the frizzen, and the frizzen pan come together.
It's pretty tight but I can still see light through there when I hold it up to the sun.
What should the proper fit be?
Thanks
Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: frizzen to pan question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:42:07 AM »
It will change over time with wear. You could try to get it perfect but that requires filing the pan as the frizzen pivots to rest. In bad cases needing a lot of adjustment this means the pan will no longer be "flat" if you will. If it's a small adjustment and would make you feel better go for it.  But if there is any slop in the frizzen on its pivot then I'd forget about it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline little joe

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 04:39:35 AM »
Depends on what you want to do with your rifle, hunting, as close as you can get, target, I have saw some very crudely assembled locks give excellent results. If the lock is already assembled you need to be very careful on what you do. It can always get worse.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »
It should be as close as you can get it.   However,  once the frizzen screw is installed,  there isn't much you can do to fit it better.    I have tried and learned it is just best to leave well enough alone.   

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:28:43 AM »
If you want a perfect seal, use a Q-tip and apply a coat of prussian blue to the underside of the frizzen pan cover.  Snap the frizzen closed.  Open the frizzen.  Using a flat riffler file, file away the high spots where you see the transfer of the Prussian blue.  Repeat this process until you get 100% contact between the pan cover and pan.
David 

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »
I had good luck using a diamond whet stone to level both the frizzen and pan.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »
Hi,
Dave Rase has your answer. However, don't kid yourself that by making a perfect seal you are preventing moisture from reaching the powder.  I do just Dave described to all my locks but I settle for a little bit less than 100% contact.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
I can see where there is some space between the pan lip and the bottom of the frizzen on my Traditions but since I use 3F the grains are large enough that they do not dribble out.  I tried to convince myself that I needed to do some sculpting to make these two parts marry up flat to help guard against moisture but decided that moisture, like Mother Nature, will find a way no matter how close the frizzen is to the lip of the pan.  Decided to let well enough alone.

Offline Jim Curlee

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
Figured perfect wasn't possible once I decided, that I would have to move the screw hole, to get the frizzen to set flat on the pan. That isn't going to happen! LOL
Decided to leave well enough alone, she's mighty close.
Thanks again for the help.
Jim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »
I don't worry too much about the fit of the frizzen to the pan.  As long as 4F doesn't dribble out I'm fine with it.  Moisture?  I take other steps to prevent that.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
I prime with my main charge powder. When it's 2F the fit would have to be pretty bad to lose prime. But a good fit is good workmanship and should be the goal. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
As usual my memory fails me as to where, however I have seen locks which are primed, a finger seals the barrel side of the pan, then the lock is submerged in a bucket of water.  Lock is then withdrawn, give a shake, and fired.  I tried this with a Siler lock, and it did fire.  I believe that the flat sealing surface as on a Siler, has what is known as a "torturous" path or something like that. It works better than the so called waterproof designs with a lip.