Author Topic: Barrel loop question. Good technique?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

Barrel loop question. Good technique?
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
I've been pondering my next build some and have decided I want to try the swaged on barrel loops and use keys to hold the barrel in the stock. Since the barrel will be swamped and pretty thin near the waist of the swamp, would it be better to angle the loops so the legs attach at a thicker area of the barrel wall rather than centered over the thinnest dimension?  Does anyone know of an original long rifle that was done this way?  I'm a bit concerned about dimpling the barrels bore.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline hortonstn

Re: Barrel loop question. Good technique?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
I'd rather use dovetails  drilling into barrels scare me you might solder the lug on its safer
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:59:08 AM by hortonstn »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:22:38 AM »
Leonidas would not approve. Staples work fine with thick barrels and originals often were.  But probably yours is not going to be so.  I suspect you want something original. Then use a barrel with original dimensions. Otherwise use a very thin dovetail. Mine are less than a thin sheet of cardboard. Then I roll soft solder under that. Indestructable.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
Just did one the other day.  I make a lug out of mild steel.  It is a T shape cross section.  The top of the T dovetails into the barrel.  I cut the main part of the dove tail on the mill.  I do the actual dovetails with a 3- corner safe side file. Someday I should splurge and get a 60* milling cutter.   I did a little extra securing with Loctite shaft locker.  I peened the dovetails closed.  I then dressed the lug even with the barrel.  The slot is done with three undersized holes then needle files.  A file for automotive points is very handy here.  Connect the holes to make a slot. 

I don't care for staples.  They can get messy for me.  I must be over thinking something. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:00:20 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
Just put 2 of 4 on a 48" barrel.  The back two were ok, but not enough meat on the other two.  Those were soldered.
Nice thing about staples.  You don't have to slot them.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
I'd rather use dovetails  drilling into barrels scare me you might solder the lug on its safer
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
OK. Thank you all for the input. I have done each of those ways except the drilling and staking loops. I'm a bit cautious there. At least on this gun. Leonidas was no fool and certainly no coward. Thanks for the smile Bill.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta