Author Topic: SMR Box Design  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Elnathan

Re: SMR Box Design
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:32 AM »
Odd thing just happened.  We had lunch with a fellow shooting club member and his wife.  He just gave us a mini library of Kentucky rifle books one of which is a 400 page hard bound book by Roy Chandler called "Kentucky Rifle PATCHBOXES and Barrel Makers".  Also vol 1 and 2 of Shumway's book, Rifles of Colonial America...PLUS about another 6 or 7 hard bound books in excellent condition.  Funny thing however I'm still uncertain that I'll even try to put a patch box on it.   :-\

That is about $400 worth of books for those first three titles alone....

You should bake him a cake or something.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Molly

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 03:08:55 AM »
This senior gentleman and and his wife are probably the most generous "regular" people I have ever encountered.  I use the term with no malice but simply to stress they appear by any standards to be like most folks, retired and active with our group.  I will make him a cake!  He is an old time black powder shooter but I think he has a more focused interest today than when these books were obtained.  How fortunate it is to have friends like this.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 03:50:56 AM »
EC:   !!!!!

That looks like the one I saw and have been trying to find.  Do you know the owner or the maker of the rifle?  If so pleas PM me.  And if so I have tried to but it but it's NFS....at this time.

Many thanks.  I think you can see the connection to the one I was thinking about but this one is much much nicer.

THANKS AGAIN!!

MAS

Molly,
Im not EC, but that is the rifle referenced by Mark Elliot in his first post, that he based his chunk gun on.  I like it so much, I used the entire design twice, once for an offhand rifle and again for my chunk gun!  Wallace Gusler wrote a MBlast article on it.  If noone else has the article, I can probably find you a copy, but its on another machine.  There is also a good picture and short description of that rifle in an American Tradition article on long rifles in the west by Steve Garbe...that was several years ago. Finally, Marc Tornicio made a wonderful version of that rifle, and you should be able to find pictures on here.

Still, I think that patchbox design may be too old and too big for the Gillespie pattern rifle you have.  Just my opinion. 

PS.--the "maker" is known only as "GB", and even that is tentative last time I checked, based on a stamp on the barrel that is not perfect!  There are two other rifles, at least, believed to be from the same maker.  WG documented a brass mounted one attributed to the same maker in Muzzleblasts as well.

The article about that rifle is in the September 2004 Muzzle Blasts, pp 36-37.   For anyone interested,  I compiled an index of Wallace Gusler articles in Muzzle Blasts; http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2016/02/wallace-gusler-muzzle-blasts-articles/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:53:36 AM by Mark Elliott »