Author Topic: Flared barrel ?  (Read 1813 times)

Maineshops

Flared barrel ?
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
I have an old rifle i am thinking of rebuilding. It has a flared barrel at the muzzle and streight the rest of the way to the breach. What is the reason for this barrel heavy style ?
Also it is percussion and the lock is engraved with a ( fence and pheasant scene ) any idea of age . Stock is walnut with brass furniture
Rifeling seems to be good and deep with what seems to be a fast twist. Haven't checked it.
Input appreciated Dan , way up in northern Maine

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flared barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:40:20 AM »
I would stall the "rebuilding" until I found out if it is something rare and valuable. A little "rebuilding" could render it worthless. I myself would be wary of using an antique barrel. They are most likely wrought iron, which is not even remotely as strong as modern barrel materials. Talk to someone with knowledge of antique firearms before you procede.

Hungry Horse

Maineshops

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
I do have that thought in mind about preserving that old piece . Right now the lock is held on with duct tape but i think with a little effort and some ideas from the group it could be restored.
The barrel is hand filed as there are no two flats the same width. It looks as though it may have been a flint converted to percussion. Dan...up in northern Maine

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
I'm with HH on that one,need to do a little more homework to see what you have.Doing ones own restoration can make a piece worthless if done wrong.Perhaps posting some photos over on the antique guns forum somebody can give you a clue as to what you have.While I get the everybody wants to interact with history, shooting a fossil is a gamble,go buy a lottery ticket ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:35:44 PM by Joe S. »

Maineshops

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 01:49:57 AM »
Brass screws in the furniture reduces it to a junker i think but I'll keep looking. Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
Brass screws can be replaced easily enough.

Hungry Horse