Author Topic: Beck build thoughts?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Mauser06

Beck build thoughts?
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
So, I am in the planning process for my next rifle.

My first, if anyone recalls, was "accidental" and was not planned. In essence, I wanted to throw together a TC flinter and ended up doing much more. 

This one I want to plan better.

I am really leaning toward something in the style of...Or with influences of Beck, Haines or Dickert. 

Not looking to make an exact replica of any one rifle. But would like a nice rifle in that style that would suit me well in the timber.

Right now I am looking at:

Rice 42" Golden Age C weight in 58 caliber. 

Stock..Knob Mountain has a few Beck options. The Fred Miller large Beck has caught my eye. Probably a low-mid grade...#3-#4.

Lock...I know the small Siler is the appropriate lock.  I don't know if a full sized Siler would look out of place or ruin the look?   Like I said, hunting rifle and looking for reliability foremost.

Furniture, if I get the stock from Knob Mountain, probably order their Beck furniture...Unless someone else makes more appropriate or nicer Beck furniture?   

Trigger, I'm not sure.  Input would be appreciated there.   

Wooden patch box most likely.

Any thoughts? 

Does anyone have input on good Beck precarves?   Is the Beck better built from a plank?  (Not completely opposed to that either..But this is my 2nd attempt. A good precarve may give me a good head start.

Thoughts on the barrel?  Not sure how it will feel/balance. I want a 58cal but don't want to goto the size/weight of a D weight. Not completely opposed to a 54cal if it'll feel and balance and handle better..

Thanx for any input!  Like I said, trying to plan this better.  Right now, planning and decision making as well as learning. 

Offline t.caster

Re: Beck build thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
I have just started building another .54 cal. early Beck rifle from a blank. I am using a Getz C wt. x 42" barrel and Chambers Dale Johnson lock, but I would suggest the Large Siler in Deluxe form as most appropriate for a Beck rifle. You don't want to use a small Siler with that large swamped barrel....that would look out of place IMHO.
The Fred Miller Early (large) Beck pattern by Dave Keck is also a very good option for you, along with his wood and brass furniture. It might take a while to get it all, but it's hard to go wrong there!
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress and questions.
Tom C
Tom C.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Here is how a Deluxe Siler looks on a C weight barrel, just about right. This was my first build before I shaped the lock panels. Being a first build, nothing is done right but you can see the lock size and barrel combination, it is a Beck patterned gun, sorta'.

I keep saying I am going to go back and straighten up all the mistakes on this gun but haven't taken the plunge so far. Being ugly has never hindered its deer killing ability.

On original Becks it appears the lock is a bit shorter with the trigger below the back of the cock. Allen Martin has a beautiful Beck on his site that has the same trigger/lock proportions.

Original;

http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/gallery-of-guns-2/fancy-jp-beck/

Since I posted on this thread I have looked a bunch of original Beck rifle pictures, the locks are all different as well as the placement. Here is another very nice example.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:47:38 PM by Eric Krewson »

Tennessee.45

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
I have a Rice 42" C weight golden age in .58 in an early Virginia stock, and it's balences very well, it's light enough to carry all day, but has enough weight for steady off hand shots. I shoot right handed and have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder and I'm able to carry and shoot it with no problem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:58:41 PM by Tennessee.45 »

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
If you are OK with a Haines and you want something for "timber" hunting, you might look at Dunlaps' Transitional Haines parts set. 38" C or D Rice barrels Nice stuff all in one place. You can order the grade wood you want too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
Here is the start of a new Beck. A C wt. .54 x 42" with the D. Johnson lock which is slightly shorter than the Lg. Siler.

Here is my personal J P Beck rifle. This had barrel inlet & pre-carved by Fred Miller himself back in 2003, using the pattern you asked about. Now showing 13 years of steady, dependable use.

http://s203.photobucket.com/user/REXTHOMAS2/slideshow/2003%20My%20JP%20BECK%2054%20rifle

Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »
I'd for sure go with a bigger lock than the small siler. And most importantly specify a really hard piece of wood over the amount of curl it has. Both curl and hardness is always nice too.-

BTW t.caster, that's a nice looking Beck you built. Super color and I like that style of wood box too, also like the brass inlay ahead of it. never would have thought of doing that but it really works well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »
Ditto on your Beck T.Caster,very pretty,like the inlay ahead of the wood patch box as well.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:22 AM »
I appreciate all the input!!!!   

Sounds like my choices are in line. 

Those pictures posted are great!   Some I've seen before.  Others I haven't.  That Washington Beck at the Frazier Museum is going to be somewhat of my inspiration...As well as a few others I have seen.

My first thought for my next build WAS the Dunlap Haines Transitional kit.  Then some of the Beck's have really caught my attention.

I have a 44" Dubbs Fowler I carry and it's no problem in the woods.  Balances nice and feels like a feather. It really doesn't feel like it's as long as it is. 4" of barrel between a 38 and 42 isn't a huge concern for me.

I'm going to keep pondering and studying and learning...Bit the early Beck is the direction I'm leaning.

As far as wood, I'm not going for a real curly piece. I'm going to be practicing carving and carving this build. I learned from my last that curls can be beautiful..But can be a bugger to work with sometimes.  That's why I'm leaning towards a hard piece in the low-mid grade...Maybe some curl but nothing crazy.

I appreciate all the input!! Very helpful as usual!! 

Offline BJH

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
The combo of Dave Kecks hardware and Fred's large Beck pattern is hard to beat for comfort and shoot ability. Daves hardware really works nice. The delux Siler is a excellent lock. Fred's Beck has the feel that seems to fit everybody with the right trigger pull length. My only criticism of the Isacc Hains guns is that there is so many of them out there. Becks surviving guns show enough variety of variations so you have enough room to use a bit of yourself and still stay in school if you do a bit of study. BJH
BJH