Author Topic: Nice period conversion  (Read 3088 times)

Offline WKevinD

Nice period conversion
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »
I recently took a period fowler into my shop for a new mainspring. Had a nice surprise when I saw this conversion on an original Ketland lock
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Nice period conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:58:15 PM »
That's cool.  Here's my favorite period conversion

image hosting 30 mb
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:59:06 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »
burnt...

Really unique. A most excellent job from long ago.

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »
I have seen one other conversion like that or at least similar on a VA rifle.  Not to say the conversion was by a VA maker but the original maker on the one I saw was probably one of the Sites boys as I recall.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:12:20 AM »
Burnt,
I did a conversion just like what you pictured about 4 years ago.  Saw an original Ohio rifle with a similar conversion since then.
Mark
Mark

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:18 AM »
This fowler has a 46" oct/ 16/ round barrel about .69 cal, Ketland lock, curly maple stock, English style buttplate, Dutch style trigger guard. Nice story as it stands.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »
Enclosed is a image of a stand of UK flintlock fowlers and sporting guns converted to percussion using the drum and nipple ,this is part of history to a gun and should never be reconverted back to flint
Feltwad

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:49:56 AM by Feltwad »

Big Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »
Interesting conversion, I would leave that one alone.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
I did a similar conversion on a Dixie "York" flintlock rifle some years ago. I was given the gun, and since Dixie no longer makes the flintlock that was the upgrade for the worthless lock that was original to the gun, I opted to make a "field conversion" to percussion. I did decide to plug the extra holes with copper wire headed with a few light hammer blows in both sides.

Hungry Horse