Author Topic: Cobbling The Cheap Musket…The Pig Flies!!  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Cobbling The Cheap Musket…The Pig Flies!!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »
My thoughts exactly!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 03:34:01 AM »
Thanks for reposting this again Daryl, don't think folks understand these people from where ever don't give a $#@* about their own let alone the junk they export.You want to roll the dice to save a couple hundred,hope your not shooting that thing near anybody else.Just plain stupid to take that chance.What they should do is ban the import of junk like that!

Well according to the other thread, 12L14 is a wrong choice to, just as wrong. I guess no barrel manufacturer gives a $#@* about us. Go ahead and shoot those 12L14 if you dare.  Maybe Im stupid for taking that chance?

The barrel pictured has serious breech issues, no doubt.  What I want to know is if that barrel material, properly breeched is safe or not.  I think the capgunkid might be able to tell us that.

Greg

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
conquerordie...The barrel pictured has serious breech issues, no doubt.  What I want to know is if that barrel material, properly breeched is safe or not.  I think the capgunkid might be able to tell us that.

The TOW barrel put into the gun is safe.  I would not trust anything else sitting atop an Indian manufactured barrel even for re-enactments.  I could not get a good picture of the welded lugs on the original I pulled out, but I cannot imagine that barrel coming through the weld process safely.  The spread at the breech cited in the thread was enough to replace the barrel. 

I don't see any value, after reading this whole thread, to testing their barrel as I stated I might try earlier.   

Given the limits on my rifle making craftsmanship, what I got done and learned by  working this tomato stake and the view of the next project in my mind's eye,  dinking around with this gun is over now that it has been made safe.

I dunno whether or not I have any incentive to keep shooting it, because any personae issues I may come up with between now and the end of the world are adequately armed with my other guns.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid
The Capgun Kid.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
The Capgun Kid,
Fair enough. My comments about the breech were dealing with Daryls pics of the barrel he had, not the one you have. I've had several TOW barrels and they've been fine.
In my opinion, a good barrel is a combination of good barrel material and a well fitted breechplug. The pictures Daryl put up show an accident waiting to happen. But would the barrel be good to go if properly breached? That's why I mentioned that maybe you could answer that, as you had mentioned you might be willing to run a few tests on your barrel. I have no horse in this race, I'm just asking purely out of interest. Thanks for the update,
Greg

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
Well, truth is you did raise a good point about breech, and I never got that far.  At this point there proved so much else wrong with it that I cast it aside.

Yours,
yet another Greg on this forum.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »
Thanks for reposting this again Daryl, don't think folks understand these people from where ever don't give a $#@* about their own let alone the junk they export.You want to roll the dice to save a couple hundred,hope your not shooting that thing near anybody else.Just plain stupid to take that chance.What they should do is ban the import of junk like that!

Well according to the other thread, 12L14 is a wrong choice to, just as wrong. I guess no barrel manufacturer gives a $#@* about us. Go ahead and shoot those 12L14 if you dare.  Maybe Im stupid for taking that chance?

The barrel pictured has serious breech issues, no doubt.  What I want to know is if that barrel material, properly breeched is safe or not.  I think the capgunkid might be able to tell us that.

Greg
With all due respect I thinks there's a heck of alot more data out there in regards to barrel steel made here vs. third world countries better suited to make stupid trinkets and blades with their steel.If they can't even breach a barrel correctly what are the chances the steels decent as well.I also call BS on them proofing these wanabe pipe bombs as well.Kinda think it's a real stretch putting this discussion in with the 12L14 one,apples and oranges I think.Capgunkid probably saved life and limb by rebarreling that thing.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 04:03:04 AM »
Joe S,
I don't know if the steel they use in their barrels is good or not. That's kinda why I was interested to find out if the tests were going to be done with a properly breached barrel. The Capgun Kid says he's not going to, that's fine.
Our quality of our steel produced here is readily available. I don't know about Indias, but when I worked in a shop for the aerospace industry, every piece of material came with a data sheet, telling of composition and treatment, certification number.  I guess stupid trinkets and blades don't need that sorts details.
It's not a stretch to bring in 12L14 into this discussion. You said yourself that the data is more readily available, and it all says we are wrong to use it. What's that make us? We take a chance with a third world countries steel not knowing what's in it, yet happily shoot a first world countries steel knowing we are misusing it. First world problems!
Why question other countries proof testing these barrels? I'm curious as to why you believe the European countries discussed earlier don't really proof the barrels?
Greg

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:17:53 AM by conquerordie »