Author Topic: HATS OFF TO MEL HANKLA- PEFECTIONIST  (Read 6233 times)

PINYONE

HATS OFF TO MEL HANKLA- PEFECTIONIST
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
HATS OFF TO MEL HANKLA- I would like to say for all viewers if you want to see a well thought out Display look at the Cont. Blog. Once again Mel set up a World class display of Powder horns at Baltimore. If a person gets to see that quality set up in a lifetime they are lucky. I consider Mel as a friend and he always has the time to lend an open ear, I consider him very educated in the field of Longrifles and Horns as well as the rest Accoutrements. What i like about Mel other than most anything is that he doesn't think he is Famous as many do who are not. Back to his Display- I had a person tell me that anybody with $50.00 could join the Kentucky Rifle Association, that it was common, my point is when you see this display this is the quality you see at KRA, and for that reason it is closed to the Public- not just anybody walks through the door at Carlisle and starts picking up what they see, and I hope the KRA is made more difficult to become a member. At CLa last year many said the KRA Displays were the best- my view is- when can any new piece compare to the original? Once again we need more people like Mel Hankla.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: HATS OFF TO MEL HANKLA- PEFECTIONIST
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
It looks like an awsome display.  I wish it was to be displayed a little closer to the South.  Maybe it will make it to the CLA show in Lexington this year.  Mel also has a wonderful website with pictures of outstanding originals displayed and some great information.

http://www.americanhistoricservices.com/html/home.html

What does this have to do with Mel? 
Quote from Pinyone "I had a person tell me that anybody with $50.00 could join the Kentucky Rifle Association, that it was common, my point is when you see this display this is the quality you see at KRA, and for that reason it is closed to the Public- not just anybody walks through the door at Carlisle and starts picking up what they see, and I hope the KRA is made more difficult to become a member. At CLa last year many said the KRA Displays were the best- my view is- when can any new piece compare to the original?"

The originals displayed at last years CLA show was not just KRA members. 

"I feel that "thanks" are in order for all the exhibitors in the "antique" section at this years CLA show. At least half of the exhibitors in the antique section were not KRA members and it seems that many mis-understood, thinking that this addition was in someway a KRA show. Not so and was in no way sponsered by the KRA. Many of the great exhibits, the jaeger rifles, English or British arms, swords, bowie knives, Hudson Valley fowlers, cannons, anything that is not specifically a "Kentucky" rifle or a bag, powderhorn, tomahawk, or accoutrement to go along with what is classified as a "Kentucky" rifle, is not allowed at the KRA show. Thus, the antique section of the CLA show encluded a much larger spectrum of arms from our past.
     I personally want to thank everyone that went to the effort to share their collections and hope you're already planning for next year show.
                                                                              Mel Hankla, Antique Show Chairman - CLA"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:26:45 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:14 AM »
Piny,
Anyone with 50 bucks, or whatever it is now, can join,,,, if,,,, they have two KRA members for a sponsor
and co-sponsor,,,, if they fill out the form and send pictures of the original rifles they own, and write a short letter outlining Why they want to join.
If they do the above, their name is posted in the bulletin as a perspective member.
If none of the members write in to say that the perspective member is not fit for membership for one reason or another, a letter is sent to the perspective member saying they have been accepted to join.

Some guys like it like this, some want to make it more difficult, some want to make it easier. Truth is that it's a small organization only some 500 strong, and a lot of the guys aren't what you'd call young. I'd like to see some young guys get into it to keep the ball rolling, but truth of the matter again, not many seem to be interested.
John

John Robbins

PINYONE

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »
John- when I wanted to join the KRA the rule was no one else could give you another members name and contact, you had to find the members on your own. There are a good many seniors in it, most all i have met are good people and have a lot of info to offer. I have voiced my opinion in our letters that it should not be easy as giving $50.. and a letter, because then many will sign up and then go to a show or 2 then become uninterested and not contribute to research and things it was set up on. As with any KRA Show in the country they are closed to members and guest for a reason. Most all members don't want their rare Rifles and Horns mishandled, for example pick up the butt of a rifle and roll it on the ramrod to see the other side. Proper handling is a must and you shouldn't have to be told how to. It is different than handling Contemporary pieces that are nice but have no History. There are many Antique shows that offer period Antiques and these Shows are very strick in their rules- no kids. No handling without permission, you break it and you have bought the item. Now in my opinion as for younger people not caring to join Organizations as the KRA, I believe the whole Black Powder Industry is on its last leg, look at every event that post pictures on here or anywhere else and everybody in them is white headed and mostly old. the younger generation is Computer Savy and could care less about this Trade or art Form. All of the sites that are Historic Reenactments are a few old people with Fake Indians, show me one that is not. Even the Indians don't want anything to do with Reenact,emts of their Ancestors being killed by Whites. 20 years now there will not be much left to Black Powder, the young will not care. I do not sign my name on my post anymore, as I was warned not to, boy we are having fun now.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »
About the KRA membership getting old.  If you can remember back when you got out of school, and maybe got married,
had kids, bought a house,  paid off all of your college loans, etc........did you have enough left over to go out and buy an
expensive antique Kentucky?  And to do it now requires a lot more than it did back then.   Most guys, unless you are born
into a wealthy family, didn't have the money to develop a collection.    Even now, when an older KRA member with a good
collection passes on, his collection might come up at public sale......who do you think will end up with the good ones...an
older, wealthy gentleman, and so it goes.      Don

Offline RobertS

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »
Back to Mr. Hankla, I've never met him, but certainly have admired his work.  I have seen a few photos here and there of his work, and I think he has a very appealing and somewhat unique style, and I for one would like to see more.  There was a rifle of his not long ago on the contemporary makers website that was outstanding.  He has some of his stuff on his website, but not nearly enough to suit me. 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:54:14 AM »
I consider Mel as a friend and he always has the time to lend an open ear

Why don't you give Mel a call and express your thoughts on the KRA.  I'm sure he is a KRA member in high standing.  The stated purpose of this board would be better served by us discussing Mel's outstanding craftsmanship and knowledge rather than your personal thoughts on how the KRA should be run. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Yes

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:14:56 AM »
Mel, who is a great guy and a strong KRA member, always creates one of the best displays at the KRA annual meeting.  No one can present material better, or with more authenticity, than Mel.  He is making an important contribution to the muzzleloading fraternity.
Wayne
Wayne Elliott

jwh1947

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
I have especially enjoyed Mel Hankla's educational displays at KRA annual meetings and at Lexington CLA conventions.  They always have a significant theme and are well thought out and well presented.  Incidentally, Mel has also been a good father shares his appreciation of history with the entire family.  His son had the best display at Lexington a few years back.  JWH