Author Topic: Stock finish  (Read 3975 times)

Uncle Alvah

Stock finish
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »
Sometime back, somewhere, I run up on a description of a stock finish. IIRC it was turpentine and Linseed oil, 50/50 in a mason jar. The mouth of the jar was covered with cheesecloth and a rubber band, and the concoction was allowed to set for a few months.
I am wondering specifically about the types of linseed and turpentine that would be used?

Joe S

Re: Stock finish
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
That is a very interesting question Uncle Alva.  The answer is: it depends.

But, first of all, linseed oil and turpentine is a poor gun finish.  It will take months to dry, and when it does, you will have a finish that is not particularly weatherproof, and will require regular maintenance.  At a minimum, you will need to add a metal drier so that it dries in a reasonable amount of time.  The traditional drier is lead carbonate, which is cooked into the linseed oil / turpentine mix. This is boiled linseed oil, or BLO.  Instead of lead you can also use Japan drier, which is cobalt and manganese.  Japan drier will give you a similar, but inferior product.

You can get a much better finish by adding a resin to the linseed oil.  The simplest is pine resin, which makes what we call spar varnish or Danish oil.  Other recipes have additional resins, such as mastic, amber or gum benzoin.

So, back to your question.  Briefly, you can start with raw linseed oil and refine it yourself.  Or you can start with a refined oil specifically intended for making varnish.  This is a good source for refined linseed oil http://www.woodfinishingenterprises.com/coating.html  You can get raw linseed oil at the health food store.

Other grades of linseed oil will also work.  Same with the turpentine.  You can use hardware store turpentine, or a good turpentine like Grumbacher’s.  As with other things, the better the components, the easier they are to work with.

There are a lot of threads on this site that discuss making linseed oil finishes.  Use the search function and you’ll find them.  This is also a very good place to start: http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol5no2/articles/mbo52-1.shtml

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
There's s lot of romance or nostalgia or legend about boiled linseed oil finishes. That can quickly go away when waiting for an impossibly thin and incremental finish to dry. I cannot believe makers of old had weeks on their hands to finish a rifle. They used varnishes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I agree with Rich. The closest to an oil varnish I've found readily available is Tru-Oil. Yes, it's got a shine to it, but it dries well and is easy to use.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
I’ve made period varnishes from several different recipes, and they are all more or less glossy.  Too glossy for my taste, but that’s easy to fix. 

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »
I use Truoil, then 0000 steel wool, followed by a polish with a paper towel.

One of the nicest finishes I ever got was just rubbing beeswax on over the stain, and rubbing it out with a coarse cloth. 
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline little joe

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
 Hot bees wax very water prof 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 12:13:20 AM »
Taylor did his Hawken in hot beeswax - as much as the wood would soak up. Easy to touch up, with a hot air gun (for model airplane covers).

True Oil

True Oil

Judicious use of 4 OUGHT (0000) wool, or pumice would cut that back to no shine or whatever you wanted. I think I used a little pumice or rotten stone on the rifle - not much- just a bit, then rubbed down hard with denim.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »
Hey Daryl, where does a person go to get Rottenstone?

Offline ScottH

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »
WoodCraft lists Rottenstone and Pumice stone on their website.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 01:20:13 AM »
Amazon has it on their site.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
I bought a couple big containers of pumice powder and rotten stone about 10 years ago. Lasts a long time.
Andover, Vermont

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 03:37:06 AM »
From the hardware store; Homer Formby's tung oil finish has been a favorite of ours for the past few years. It comes in a matte or gloss finish. It's easy to use and you can get 20 coats on in a short amount of time (1 week). It's a tung oil with a hardener so be advised. It'll set up pretty quickly.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
Not sure this is what the original poster was thinking about.  Good cold pressed linseed oil, turpentine and spar varnish(not the poly kind).  Equal parts as a start. You should experiment with the proportions to get what you want. Alwsys better to set the turp out covered with a cheesecloth lid for a month to let the air at it but - if yougot the time. Easier to buy your finish from Jim Chambers

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
I agree with KentSmith, it's easier to buy your finish from Jim Chambers. I really like the stuff having done a couple of rifles with it, it's my finish of choice.
American horses of Arabian descent.