Author Topic: Grain runout question  (Read 3044 times)

Tennessee.45

Grain runout question
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
I'm trying to lay out the pattern on my plank for this build, since I've never used a plank before I just want to make sure I have a strong wrist and avoid snapping it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Grain runout question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
Can you show a picture of the end grain on the buttstock end of the plank?
Andover, Vermont

Tennessee.45

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Hope these are what your asking for

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:05:45 PM by Tennessee.45 »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
The end grain he is asking for is the picture with the black paint covering it up.  If that grain could be seen, it could be determined if you have a quarter sawn blank or a slab cut blank and which side the grain tends toward.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
Looks quarter sawn to me, from that first image.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Tennessee.45

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
It's a blank from Dunlap, grade 3 sugar maple, if that helps

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
Tennessee, can you cut about 1/4 inch off the butt, then we could give you a bit more educated advise. When cut if you see the growth rings crossing the butt stock long ways your fine it's plank sawn. BJH
BJH

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
You've laid out you wrist fine in your first photo. That was your original question. You are not going to be able to change whether the blank is quarter sawn or plank sawn. Build your gun and enjoy it.....Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:34:19 PM »
I'm with Bob unless you're building a super slim wristed rifle. Most blanks are that way unless stump cut.
Andover, Vermont

ron w

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
I have to agree with Bob Hill,.... your blank is fairly straight grained and whether it is quarter-sawn or not, the orientation of the grain in the wrist really can't change much by repositioning the layout.  being that the blank came from Dunlap,...I would trust that he realized and considered this.... when cutting the blank.  by your second photo , your blank looks to be fairly quarter-sawn,....in which case you have the best grain orientation for a blank that has fairly straight grain. bottom line,...pretty hard to lay out a stock in any other way on a blank that has straight, quarter-sawn grain.  your layout may not be the best, because the blank has no turn of the grain through the wrist, but, it will be plenty adequate.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
If it's any consolation, first I agree with the others, go ahead and make the rifle, and second, the grain does curve a bit in the butt so you won't have toe issues.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 11:24:42 PM »
Tenn,

Look at the second photo of the edge of the stock - it looks to me like the bottom edge.  Do you see how the dark lines of the growth rings of the tree go across the blank?  the are making great big letter Cs along the viewed edge.  that means that you have a quarter-sawn blank.  you can see the same thing when you look at the top edge but not quite as clearly.

When you look at your first image you can see the growth rings running almost straight down the wrist.  On that blank the grain is running parallel with those lines.  What you have laid-out is going to be OK.  If you can get the top of the butt a little higher and the fore-stock a little lower in the blank that will improve things, slightly.  Remember that the curl figure in the wood almost always appears perpendicular to the flow of the wood fibers, the grain.  There is some slight curl visible in the blank.  Your wrist is almost perpendicular to that curl - good!  Like Daryl said - build it!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 03:02:44 AM »
what?- what did I say? ;D

Like John said- raise the butt 1/2" if possible, then the grain running through the wrist will be almost optimal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:04:42 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V