Author Topic: Horse Pistol.....  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Horse Pistol.....
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:01 AM »
This is a Chris Altland "kit" I picked up at Dixon's a few years ago and finally got around to building.  Mostly, it was done between builds, and here and there while doing other projects.  I think Chris advertised this as a French pistol.  At any rate, I kind of just went ahead and did my own thing with this project.  A few months ago (or longer) I posted some photos of the wire work. 

The top of the barrel was chiseled, and a shell incorporated into the design.  I also chiseled two areas that frame the name engraving, stippled them, then treated them with gold leaf.  The lock has a chiseled border, and also has an area on the plate that was chiseled and leafed.  The boarder around the bottom of the butt cap was also chiseled.

The stock was not stained, but the grain was filled.  Four coats of Permalyn were applied, then rubbed out with paraffin oil and rotten stone, utilizing an old tooth brush.

All these bells and whistles might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like "bling", lol...  Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Ed

Ed Wenger

Offline Daryl

Re: Horse Pistol.....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »
Pretty nice, Ed. Seems to me, the design speaks more towards an English "horse" (holdster) pistol - I'm likely wrong, though.

Those guns are a BLAST on a silhouette targets with buck and ball loads.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »
That's a handsome pistol Ed, lots of details to appreciate in your craftsmanship. Thanks for posting the photos.

Who was the barrel maker? Did you do the moldings on the breech?

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:46:18 AM »
I'm saving every one of these pictures...excellant craftsmanship...beautiful pistol...

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »
Very Nice!
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline mountainman

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 04:01:02 AM »
Beautiful artwork

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 04:15:04 AM »
I wanna be like Ed Wenger when I grow up. Super Ed!

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:16:55 AM »
Wow!!! 

Amazing detail in such a small piece.   Although maybe too much "bling" for some, it looks like it was well thought out and just the "right" amount without"going overboard".    I am not a fan of some of the highly decorated stuff..Just my personal tastes...But man...That was tastefully done. And the detail is amazing!   

Well done!   Heck of a "side project" lol.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »
Ooooh.  I like it.  Are you bringing it to New Market?  If not, I'll come right up and let's shoot it.   :-D 

I like the way you tied the decorative carving of the metal and wood together. 

The wire work is cool too. 

Glad you got it finished up.  On to the next one!   

Best wishes,   Marc

Spinner

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:34:36 AM »
That is beautiful work.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
Hi Ed,
Fabulous.  I like the gold touches and the barrel work, particularly.  The gun says "English" to me.  Your wire work is wonderful and has a true authentic look.  Great gun.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:42:59 AM »
Very nice Ed, it looks like a great deal of work went into that pistol!  I too like the gold touches!  Is the furniture on that silver?  How difficult was it chiseling the barrel?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:03 AM »

All these bells and whistles might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like "bling", lol...  Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Ed

Ed,
that is stunning!  I love the wire work (no surprise) and the engraving. 

I have to admit, that I like my tea without the bells and whistles, and bling is not my thing.  However, I can massively appreciate the skill, time and effort that goes into making that sort of gun.  These are qualities and quantities that I currently lack!

I have a TOTW Kentucky pistol kit that has sat in my safe for 2 years waiting for me to insult it with chisels.  After my current two projects are complete, I will attack it with all the mediocrity I can muster and do my subdued version of bling on it.  It will be my test case for wire inlay and my own personal carving and engraving designs. 

Will you bring the pistol to WKU?

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

pushboater

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 06:02:13 AM »
WOW! Beautiful work Ed!

David

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
Thanks, all....  Agree, definitely more English, just pointing out what it was described as.  I think Chris based the stock on a French piece. 

Carl, not sure about the barrel, maybe Getz?  The breach moldings were on the barrel.

Marc, I'll bring it to New Market.

James, your funny, I was trying to be more like you! Lol...

Thanks, Norm.  I think you're severely under rating your ability...  Unfortunately, I won't be doing WKU this year, just too many things going on.  Tough decision and plan on attending next year!

Curtis, thanks.  Yes, it's silver mounted.  It wasn't really difficult to do the chiseling, just plenty of time.  At least as much time in "clean up", as chiseling, but it went faster the more I did.

It was a fun project.  I've found I enjoy having something like this to work on as they're  typically much different that what is commonly found on Longrifles, changes things up somewhat.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:11:50 AM by Ed Wenger »
Ed Wenger

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:18 AM »
Outstanding work Ed. Love it......Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »
Wow Ed..... nice,nice,nice!
Well done!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
Very nice. I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
Very nice and very inspirational.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
You are truely a Modern Master of this craft.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

n stephenson

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Ed, Very Nice!!! I like it all but, I really like the shell on the top jaw.  Good Job!!!  Nathan

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
 J-Zoo Ed! That is Beautiful, Love the "Bling" and the finish that lets the grain show through.

Tim C.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Sweet pistol Ed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like it alot!!!

Mitch

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Beautiful!!! Composition, craftsmanship, everything!!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:44 PM »
Great looking pistol Ed!  The work is very crisp and bold.  I really like the work you incorporated into Chris' par tset.
David