Author Topic: Gun Builder's Brass Depth Gage  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Gun Builder's Brass Depth Gage
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
This ad is by Dave2 you may contact him at decrisalli@gmail.com
Dennis

I usually use a micrometer for many of the gun building measurements I take while working on a firearm.  However, there are several times when a micrometer is not very convenient because it is too big and / or awkward.  Not long ago, I had drilled a ram rod hole and wanted to see if it had wandered up or down any.  I did the trick of drilling a small hole in the bottom of the barrel channel and then sticking a piece of weld wire down through the hole to find the bottom of the ram rod hole.  Of course, I was trying to hold the wire with my thumb nail as the indicator and my thumb was really too fat to fit all the way down against the bottom barrel channel flat.  I wasn't sure of the measurement, so I took to marking the wire with a Sharpie and that wasn't very precise either.  Perhaps I am just a klutz, but this just didn't seem to be the best way to measure things.  So I made this cute little depth gage.  With the brass shoe plate on it, it will sit nicely across a barrel channel or lock mortise to measure depths.  I can also hang it over one side of the stock and use it to locate pipe or barrel pin locations.  If you remove the shoe, it will fit down in tight places to measure the height of a step, etc.  I use this one to measure down inside a trigger mortise or to do the trick of locating the ram rod hole location described above.  I can easily check inlay depths, hole depths, ram rod ends, and lock mortise clearance depths.  I made it just for fun, but it has turned out to be one of the handiest tool on my bench.  The measuring rod is made of 0.062 tool steel and is about 4 inches long. The gages are $26 each + $3 shipping.  Payment can be made by PayPal, credit card, check, or money order. Please contact me at decrisalli@gmail.com

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 10:01:45 PM by Tim Crosby »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson