Author Topic: Adjustable rear sigth . Problems  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Adjustable rear sigth . Problems
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:49:27 PM »
I've finished the rear sigth for the rifle I'm building. All parts machined from solid steel.  The barrel I want to use it on is strait octangonal, 1" between the flats and 32" long. I have problems finding the correct placement on the barrel.  It seems I have to Place the rear sigth  12" to 14" from the breech end of the barrel.

1.What's the normal distance between the rear sigth and the front sigth on a rifle?
2. How tall should the front sigth be in proportion/relation to the higth of the rear sigth?

Best regards
Rolf

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:52:10 PM by Rolf »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Adjustable rear sigth . Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
First off, that is one very cool sight.  I like the concept very much.  As or sight placement, I normally place the rear sight just in front of my hand while holding the rifle at its balance point.  12" to 14" is not a stretch for our eyes.  Granted, 14" looks way out of balance on a 32" barrel vs. 42" barrel. 
David

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
Height of rear sight above bore should be slightly greater than height of front sight above the bore. Maybe 1-2 mm higher.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
First off, that is one very cool sight.  I like the concept very much.  As or sight placement, I normally place the rear sight just in front of my hand while holding the rifle at its balance point.  12" to 14" is not a stretch for our eyes.  Granted, 14" looks way out of balance on a 32" barrel vs. 42" barrel. 
David

The few guns I made for myself had rear sights installed AFTER I slid the sight
along the barrel until it was clear to MY eyes. I never did think there was an arbitrary
dimension for this final operation in gun making and never will.
The last two I made had folding tang sights I made copying old Creedmoor sights.

Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
VERY clever sight -- I like it VERY much and I bet it could work as an aperture sight with some modifications.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb