Author Topic: Origin of this half stock percussion rifle?  (Read 2821 times)

brcampbe

Origin of this half stock percussion rifle?
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
Hi, I purchased a more plain half stock rifle recently and would like to know if anyone knows the style it was built in? It is unmarked. Looks to be shootable after some minor woodwork.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Origin of this half stock percussion rifle?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »
Very nice half stock rifle. What caliber is it? It looks like a pretty generic late halfstock rifle, that could have been made almost anywhere. The trigger guard looks a little to fancy for the rest of the gun, and might be an early replacement.
 As for shooting it, I would suggest you get a modern muzzleloader for that. Many antique muzzleloader owners in the past shot these guns, you must remember it's not just the metal that suffers over time. The stock wood on most of these guns have seen well over a century of over drying in heated houses, often hanging on a wall, or worse yet over a fireplace. One sharp recoil can snap the stock like a dry twig.

Hungry Horse

brcampbe

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
It's in .45cal. Got it on the shooting part, thanks for the tip.

ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
Although plain, it has very attractive styling. Thanks for sharing!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:06:39 PM by ghost »

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:30:16 PM »
My guess would be midwest.  The tang shape, to me, says Ohio.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
 There is no rib under the barrel, but the ramrod enters the stock not just below the barrel, but 3/16" or 1/4" below the barrel. Could this rifle have started its life as a fullstock?
Okieboy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:34:45 AM »
There is no rib under the barrel, but the ramrod enters the stock not just below the barrel, but 3/16" or 1/4" below the barrel. Could this rifle have started its life as a fullstock?

I wouldn't bet against it NOT being a fullstock when built. The cheek piece says fullstock to me.
It's a nice relic and the advice against shooting it is sound.Too many new ones need shot to
take a chance with this one. Have you checked it to see if a long forgotten load was lurking???

Bob Roller

ron w

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
may have been full stock. what interesting to me is the shape of the cheek piece. not hollow......suggesting late era to me.