Author Topic: GETZ BARREL PRICING?  (Read 13946 times)

PINYONE

GETZ BARREL PRICING?
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
39 years ago when I built my first rifle, I was told the best barrel you could buy was a Douglas they shot awesome or either I did, I find accuracy is up to the shooter. Anyway years went on by then came Paris and the n Getz barrel. I was told getz was a so good as any barrel ever made , accurate in every aspect. I don't mean any insult to the Barrel that sold in Items for sell, but the breech plug was $250 alone, the entire barrel was $1495. Is there anyone who knows why that barrel cost 6 times more than a Getz Barrel. Does this mean that Getz Barrels are way under priced? I cannot see the difference. What are the Douglas Barrels worth now?

Offline Longknife

Re: GETZ BARREL PRICING?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »
That is the difference between mass produced and hand made.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:07 AM »
I certainly wouldn't call Getz barrels mass produced..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:24:03 AM »

$#*!! By no means! ::)
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
I love Getz barrels and generally have one on order and a couple in stock.  But I don't think it's productive to question the price another craftsman puts on their hand work.  It could come across as a little bit mean-spirited to the guy who did the hand work.  I do consider Getz barrels to be the best value in gun barrels, period, for several reasons (same reasons many others feel the same).  But more expensive barrels certainly have their place.  Saw a Lotus on the road the other day.  Not a really good value for a commuter car for an old gray haired dude.  May not be faster than many other cars going for 1/3 the price.  But folks will pay for something exclusive in a car or in a gun barrel.  More power to them.

While on the topic of "fair discourse" I'll sermonize some more.  It's well and good to support folks who make fine and reliable goods and stand behind them, but remember that other folks make good things too.  For example, it's gotten so some folks think any lock other than a xxxxxxxx must be junk or any gun kit other than a xxxxxxxx must be junk by comparison.  Not so.  I just got one of R.E. Davis' early Germanic locks and it is spectacular.  The fit of the parts is superb.  Sparks like crazy.  Smooth.  I've had L&R locks that were slick as snot, waterproof, and FAST.  That can all be true and still not be dismissive of the fine products in the xxxxxxxx line of locks, which I love and use a lot.  But I won't build a rifle with a Siler lock.  Don't care that it's great, which it is.  Just seen too many of them already in my lifetime.  Personal taste, not a value judgment.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
Rich......I guess I can understand your not using a siler lock to build a gun, seems like you are being a little bull-headed
here...just joking.   There are so many of them being used, and you can recognize them right away.   I wish someone would make a replacement frizzen for a siler.......that seems to be the one really recognizeable feature on a siler.  There
are so many nice kentuckies out there to be built, and it seems that a siler is the perfect lock for them......I will continue
to use them.  Locally here, Dave Dodds does a great job of "modifying" a siler, as does Allen Martin and Mark Wheland.
They do some great things with them.  I guess I'm lazy, I use them right out of the box, except to polish them.   On the
gun I am now building, I am using a Walter Cain siler....really smooth.   One can't deny, they are good locks........Don

PINYONE

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
As I stated in my post- there was not intent to be mean spirited or insulting to anyone if you read it right. My point was I always thought that Getz Barrels were the best custom barrels you could buy, I have quite a few and they look just like the $1,495. barrel. My question would be are Getz way under priced? I hope a fellow could sell a barrel for $10.000.
Was the $1,495. forged like the Williamsburg barrels or done on machinery?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »
It actually sold for $900.00 w/breechplug and shipping included! Enough already!?
Tom C.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »

I meant no disrespect to the Getz barrels, I have owned and shot many of them. They are top notch and always shoot better than I can. However, I ONLY ment to imply that Mr. Getz is in the business to make, produce, manufacture or whatever you may want to call it, barrels. Mr. Tonjes makes them one at a time, by hand and spends untold hours at the machineing, finishing and testing and has every right to name his price anf I respect that!!

It actually sold for $900.00 w/breechplug and shipping included! Enough already!?
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Enough already!?
I agree! Lets discuss something that may help someone not re-hash how people chose to spend their money.

This topic is locked!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson