Author Topic: Faber rifle  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Bill Ebner

• Starting Member
Faber rifle
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
  I have been studying the pictures of the Johannes Faber (or Huber ) rifle in Of Sorts For Provincials and was wondering if there is any new research to indicate its origin or influences. I am particularly interested in information about the design or hardware. I have only found comments that it could have been made anywhere that a German gunsmith had settled.

Thanks,

Bill Ebner

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Faber rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
Well, a good portion of guy sled by Wallace are pretty insistent it's a VA gun or further south.  I have no idea.  I do know there is another one, a fowler-ish thing I believe, which is extremely similar and definitely same guy.  Also I believe that the so-called "Feather gun" is believed possibly the same guy. 

I don't think Faber is the maker, I think an owner.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 01:10:09 AM »
So, what's a "guy sled" and how did Wallace go about making one?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:26:02 AM »
Hilaaaaaaarious.  I meant, "guys led" by Wallace as I believe he's been the primary proponent of it being VA or points South.  George stuck it in that camp early on because he didn't know where else to put it and he was not aware at the time of the others that are believed associated.   8)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:26:18 AM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:28:35 AM »
I should add, I can see the point of placing it to the South as it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen definitively attributable to points north.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:05 AM »
I should also add that I truly abhor automated spell correct.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 02:44:52 AM »
Hilaaaaaaarious.  I meant, "guys led" by Wallace as I believe he's been the primary proponent of it being VA or points South.  George stuck it in that camp early on because he didn't know where else to put it and he was not aware at the time of the others that are believed associated.   8)

Aye - another Wallace is it?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »
I don't know really - I do recall he had made some pretty strong comments about this rifle as well as the companion piece (which I don't think has yet been photographed).  Also the feather rifle too, although it's been a long time since I talked to him.  I believe there are some others also who have tried to make a pretty strong case for it being a southern rifle.  The Joahnnes Faber name does not amount to much, as if you try to track it, you can find people of this name all over the eastern seaboard.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
According to Shumway the rifle belonged to a family located in Virginia from at least as far back as 1860. Has an English lock on it, which is unusual for an early PA piece, I believe, and doesn't look anything like any known PA piece.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:26 AM »
It's somewhat reminiscent in curious ways of the Bullard rifle...  oops. I mean the rifle formerly known (for no logical reason) as the Bullard rifle, until it's mate turned up with a John Newcomer [Lancaster] signature.

I really have no idea where it was made, but it is definitely cool.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
I don't know really - I do recall he had made some pretty strong comments about this rifle as well as the companion piece (which I don't think has yet been photographed).  Also the feather rifle too, although it's been a long time since I talked to him.  I believe there are some others also who have tried to make a pretty strong case for it being a southern rifle.  The Joahnnes Faber name does not amount to much, as if you try to track it, you can find people of this name all over the eastern seaboard.
The "fowling gun version" was published in Muzzle Blasts many moons ago.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?