Author Topic: house brothers rifle  (Read 9772 times)

Offline dave gross

house brothers rifle
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:14:21 AM »
I've been looking at the House Brothers rifle in the CLA brochure...what a beauty. After studying the close-up shots a question comes to mind.  Why would this rifle apparently be so much more desirable than examples seen here often which exhibit more "perfect" fit and finish? Is it because the builders have deservedly achieved almost legendary status, or that the style and "workmanlike" quality of the rifle convey that it could actually be taken out and used without insulting it? I don't know what's in the water in Kentucky but something makes those Woodbury rifles shine.

Lucy...you gotta lot of "splainin' to do!

Dave Gross
Way down east in Maine
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:19:52 AM by daveg »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: house brothers rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:42:04 AM »
Hand forged locks and barrels are a huge amount of work (man hours) and very few have mastered the process.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:35 AM »
In addition to what Gary said above, the "House" clan are living legends, what they do is unique, and to have anything]with their name on it means a lot.  I first met Herschel in the mud at the Eastern Rendezvous at Brookville, Pa. in 1977.
Since then, it has always been a pleasure to run into him.  Later on got to know Frank, and then John came along after
that.   I have looked at a lot of Herschel guns and never saw one that didn't feel good.  They are just a unique bunch of
guys that are extremely talented, then add to this Frank's wife Lally who just seems to fit in with that bunch...........Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:38:36 AM »
This is an easy question and a hard one.  Longrifles can be an art form and the House rifles have that "IT " factor.  Great architecture and that greasy take me to the woods look. Yet perfect, pristine rifles can create a similar appeal . They are not better because they have a reputation, but have a reputation because they are better. Some things are only learned to a certain point. After that it's natural ability that they seem to posess.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »
Very well said, Bill. I think you aptly stated what many would like to have said, but just couldn't find the right words. 

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:51:11 AM »
I once bought a Hershel rifle to resell to a friend in Germany.  After it was here for a few days I just couldn't let it go.  It's still here.  Hershel has that unique ability to build a rifle that feels like an old friend when you pick it up.  Hershel guns are not like a really prestine John Bivins or Bill Shipman rifle, but they are special in their own way. The difference is kind of like hanging out with a loving wife or a super model....nothing against either one, both are great but for different reasons.

nthe10ring

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »
I like that last part Jim, well said.

Jerry Fisher

PINYONE

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »
Does Herschel still build many rifles or mostly knives, I see so many forsale on CLA that I can't think he is building rifles?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 03:15:50 AM »
I just talked to Herschel a few hours ago down at Gettysburg.   He said he has a gun started on the bench.   For some
reason, Herschel doesn't seem to change, quite a character...........Don

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 05:06:22 AM »
Up here in the back woods, I've not had the chance to see one of H. House's guns up close, but the images indicate what looks to be a rifle that grew out the wood. Just warm and natural like a flannel shirt. I'm glad he's still building. Last I heard, he was pretty ill?? Hope he's better now.
I have all his tapes re gun building and forging. Not only instructive..they are a hoot to watch. He is very entertainng. 

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:12:51 AM »
Just received my May, 2009 issue of the American Rifleman.    Great story about the House brothers and their gunbuilding,
they are receiving some great national coverage on their talents.............Don

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:36 AM »
I WOULD LOVE TO HOLD A HERSHEL.......LOL u know what i mean.
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:25 AM »
I thought the article on the House brothers was a nice change of pace for American rifleman.  I also enjoyed the one about Rev. War Rifleman although I thought it could've been a bit more in depth.   I think they could do a much better job of writing about flintlocks...............but I digress.  I had an opportunity to see the House rifle this winter.  What a beauty.  The "It" factor it definatly has.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

hatchetdan

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »
You know, the taxes on a 40.000.00 dollar rifle would mean that I would have to sell it if I won! :'(

msmith

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 04:01:53 AM »
What do you think they will give you a 1099 form if you win?

hatchetdan

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:19 AM »
Don't know if they will , but i have had freinds who won donated prizes at shoots and got them, and had to pay taxes on the declared value of the prize.

TNrifleman

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »
I enjoyed reading the AR article on the House Rifle. I'm going to buy a $5 ticket. Somebody is going to win that rifle. I'll worry about any taxes after the fact! ;D