Author Topic: Refinishing brass  (Read 1896 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

Refinishing brass
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
I am in the process of resurrecting a Pedersoli ML and now that I have polished the brass with Braso I want to put a clear coat on the parts to protect them from being tarnished. What should I use as a clear coat?  I am thinking of perhaps trying spray Polyurethane but I don't know if this will work.  Any suggestions?
I suppose I could leave it to alone and let it age naturally, but since I am going to refinish the stock and go over the entire gun with a deep cleaning I would like to try something different.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Refinishing brass
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
Not sure anything will be durable.  If you like shine, a simple buffing with automotive rubbing compound on a cloth should do the job now and then.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
I agree with Rich. The expansion and contraction rate of brass versus a poly finish will cause the poly to crack. If you don't want to use ribbing compound, simple burlap will work.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
If you want to keep it shiny and clean - Use liquid polish floor wax - Thin coat - it flexes and can be removed/cleaned up/re-coated -

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
I have successfully used clear engine enamel.   No tarnish yet after 20 years.  The brand I used is Plasti-Coat.  It comes as a spray so is easily applied if you can remove the items from the stock.  If not, spray some into a clean jar and apply with a brush.  Degrease your brass with acetone before coating.