Author Topic: First Build, Hawkens Style .054 Cal. Half Stock  (Read 3010 times)

Ray Pennington

First Build, Hawkens Style .054 Cal. Half Stock
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
Gentlemen, this is my first time on the forum since February 2014 when I was asking a thousand questions about building a Hawkens style rifle with my W.M. Large .054 cal barrel that I acquired.  I copied all your comments and suggestions and have compiled 2 3-ring binders with these along with many other articles and pictures and horror stories about NOT building the rifle as my first build.  Well gentlemen, I am in the process of building this rifle with a lot of guidance from Bob Roller, great man by the way. Bob and I live within 10 minutes of one another.  I purchased a pre-inlet (barrel only), Hawkens half stock from T.O.W. and had to return it due to the ram rod hole completely out of align. I purchased the second one from them and looked very good with the exception of the inlet was deeper than I realized until after I had already completed the inlet along with the long beavertail tang, I have already dovetailed the barrel lugs and have keyed the barrel in place, and have inlet the entrance thimble, this is when I realized the there wasn't much wood left beneath the barrel +- 3/16".  I still have enough room to clamp, drill and pin the thimble in place.  Here's my two questions: 1.  Do I go ahead and pin the thimble in place or just leave it clamped until the nose cap in inlet and screwed in place.  2.  Now the barrel rib is approximately 1/16 to 3/32" high, can I round file the rib to match the nose cap and entrance thimble back about half way with a slight slope? I don't think it would be noticeable. 
I will be using Bob's double trigger and lock.   Again I appreciate all the help you all have afforded me in the past.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: First Build, Hawkens Style .054 Cal. Half Stock
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
Are you building a Hawkens, a Hawkins or a Hawken? They all vary greatly. I usually go with a 3/16" web, I'm not sure how thick a Hawkens should be.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Ray Pennington

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
OK, HAWKEN.  Sorry for the incorrect spelling. And thanks, I'll check the TOW web site.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
3/16" is plenty for a web.  I'm sure this project has made you aware of the challenges of kits with pre-carved stocks.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
The rib is about .230 high.  If your web is 3/16 thick, that is .1875, so the rib is about .040 high at the groove.  (You said 1/16 to 3/32" high, a lot worse).  You could file it down for the last 4 or 5 inches to get the rod to go in.  But- the underlugs may project into the rod hole and the rod likely will hit them.  I file the underlugs down to avoid this.  You want the entry pipe barrel and nose cap groove and rib to be the same elevation.  Or you could drill the rod hole larger so your 7/16 rod will clear the underlugs.   Likely you have Track's Hawken entry pipe RP-Hawk-E-7-I with a lot of hump, not like on any original Hawken I have seen.  The correct one is RP-Hawk-TE-7-I, with less hump, as on the Bridger and Kit Carson Hawkens.  You could glue a snug fitting dowel into the rod hole and redrill it at the correct level.  Fit the nose cap first.  Then drill through the pipes for the rod hole.  You could super glue the rib on temporarily for the alignment of the drill rod.  I drill within a 1/4" of the tang bolt for the longest rod I can get.  The correct entry pjpe will have to be inlet and moved back a little, which is easy to do.  In fitting the nose cap, allow for the shorter entry pipe, if you change it.   You have the entry pipe inleted, you could refit it "higher" to move it into alignment with your rib and nosecap grooves.   Glue a shim under the skirt and sides of the barrel if needed there.  A Hawken rifle would be a helluva lot easier to build if the parts and inletting were correct.  Usually the tang needs bending and so does the trigger plate.
Herb

Ray Pennington

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
To Rich Pierce:   I kind of wish I had started with a blank, lots of issues trying to get it right!!!   Thanks for the info, great help.

To Herb:   The barrel lugs actually stayed within the wood....I used a straight steel rod & checked the ram rod hole..... needles to say the bore hole sloped upwards.   I just pinned the rest thimble and will be inletting the nose cap later today, the precut stock didn't leave much wood to work with, looks like they trimmed too much at the nose end,  we shall see!!!    Thank you for the great advice!!!!!!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 01:44:11 AM »
  Ray you have learned one valuable lesson. IMHO precarved are a pain. That's why I build from a plank. If anyone's going to mess up a stock. It's going to be me....!  Good luck on your build...Oldtravler

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 02:20:09 AM »
Wow, where did you ever find a .054" barrel. A squirrel rifle that will destroy not meat and go very easy on the powder.  ;D

I know, I know. Just funning.
Psalms 144

ron w

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »
also you shouldn't use an "s" on the end of "Hawken", unless you are saying that the gun you are building belongs to them personally. and I believe no gun made today is a Hawken's gun.

Ray Pennington

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:11:33 AM »
Old Travler61: thank you for the input!! And YOURE RIGHT!! Lol

Clark B:   Thanks for the reply...... bought the 1" straight octagon barrel from a man here in the tristate are, he said it had been setting in his closet for many years along with some odd & end pats..And by the way... we have some huge squirrels here in Southern Ohio!!! Lolol

Ron w:   Thanks for the education...... that's the reason I wrote Hawken style rifle....