Author Topic: Armstrong inspired longrifle  (Read 3247 times)

Tonyhd98

Armstrong inspired longrifle
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »
Here's a John Armstrong inspired rifle in .45 cal. I selfishly made this one for me for a change. Rice swamped barrel and TOW fittings and Chambers gun builders lock.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Armstrong inspired longrifle
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
pretty rifle,wood finish goes nicely with the brass.Like the little details,wire work in the cheek and the little heart at the end of the lock panel

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:01 AM »
Hi Tony,
Thanks for posting your work. I particularly enjoy seeing the swivel breeches.  You are obviously a superb machinist and craftsman.  Are you open to some constructive design comments, particularly on your Armstrong? 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Tonyhd98

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
Thank you Joe, I was misdiagnosed with a heart problem while building that rifle so I rushed it along so I could shoot it before something happened. You're very kind.

Dave, you never have to ask before offering your thoughts, this is what keeps us all honest and is why I post my work. I'm not looking for a stroke or pat on the back, I'm looking for my shortcomings so I can hopefully avoid them on the next project. I'm a retired Army Warrant Officer and nothing was more cruel and honest than an After Action Critique by my peers! LOL

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:30:00 AM »
Hi Tony,
I don't have a cruel bone in my body.  If you were to cut through your stock just in front of the lock and also behind it across the wrist, the cross section would look like a vertical rectangle with rounded corners.  It should have a fat oval or spherical cross section.  I attached some photos for illustration.  The bottom of the fore stock into the lock area should be rounded, flattening out only when you get to the trigger plate.  Shape the lock area to the final rounded contours before cutting the lock panel moldings and beaver tails. That way they look like they grew out of the rounded contours of the stock rather than like a picture frame glued to a flat wall.  John Armstrong's rifles exhibit elegant and graceful architecture that is some of the best ever done.  I urge you to buy a copy of David Hansen's book on American long rifles and study the photos carefully.  Hopefully, at some point you get an opportunity to see some original long rifles first hand.  It really helps.  Good luck and keep posting.

dave         

Tonyhd98

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:10:56 AM »
Dave,

Thank you for your keen insight, I clearly see what you describe and I'm going to take a look at my rifle and see if I have enough timber left in the stock to make some mods. I wasn't thrilled with the finish on my rifle and was thinking that after I finish my swivel breech pistol (the other posting was for a LH'd customer) I'd refinish my rifle. Thanks again for the detailed pictures, very much appreciated. I'll look for that book but they're so disappointing, they don't show the views I need as you have, they're more 2 dimensional.

Cheers,
Tony

Flick did live!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:12:09 AM by Tonyhd98 »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
Hi Tony,
Dave Hansen's book is different. I think he had builders in mind although there can never be enough photos and seeing the real thing is best. I think it is available from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation store.  It is not cheap but worth its weight in gold and it has a really nice Armstrong rifle in it.

dave

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
AWSOME porch bench too!!!! 8)
Tom C.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
"Maryland Longrifles" by Hartzler/Whisker is another good book for Armstrongs, expensive if you can find a copy, but maybe a library loan.  Lots of pics of different JA guns, plus many of his students.

Some things in addition to Smartdog's comments that jump out, just in relation to Armstrong...back end of the stock shape just looks a bit off, more Ohioish/later percussion to me than Armstrong.  Comb nose a bit too sharp, cheek a bit too wide front to back, maybe needs more wood off the bottom of the stock from the wrist a ways back?  Hard to tell for sure just from pics though.  An Armstrong needs carving, period, he didn't make plain guns.  PB release needs to be in the toeplate, never seen a JA with release in the buttplate comb.

Last one is nothing on you, but I hate those precut Armstrong patchbox kits, they always look too small on the gun too my eye.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Tonyhd98

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »
Hello Osprey, thank you for your observations. I think it's essential to highlight that my rifle is an JA "inspired" build, not a JA copy but I appreciate your well informed, highly detailed critique.

T.caster, you have an excellent eye for rustic porch accouterments! LOL

Dave, thanks again for your book recommendation, I'm searching for a copy now!