Author Topic: Shuetzen  (Read 3217 times)

Candle Snuffer

Shuetzen
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:11 AM »
I did a search on the old files of the NMLRA's (MuzzleBlast Online) and came up with this info on Shuetzen matches;

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol1no1/articles/schiffer.shtml

Daryl

Re: Shuetzen
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
Thanks Candle Snuffer- it was a good read.  of course, the Scheutzen matches held in the States for both offhand and bench, on the German/Swiss 25 ring target are somewhat different - but - I think they have both black powder and smokeless powder matches -  single shot rifles only- and are ctg. events - at 200 yards.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:25:43 AM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
I believe that to be correct Daryl.

I like the idea of a match,,, one that would be strictly round ball from 200 yards at the 200 yard paper targets the NMLRA uses.

I think for a wooden Eagle target, that might be best shot from 100 yards if the round ball was used since there are specific pieces of the target one needs to hit.

Naturally I would prefer to see all unadjustable open notch iron sights for both matches.  That would be fun. :) 

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
I have always had a fascination with schuetzen rifles and the schuetzen vereins that once flourished in my area. The American Midwest was a hotbed of schuetzen activity from a little before the Civil War until World War I. I live about five miles from where the shooting park of the "Princeton Schuetzen Gesellschaft" (Princeton, Illinois) once stood. I also own a 14 1/2 lb. percussion schuetzen rifle made by one of the founding members. It is signed "C. Schoettler- Maker- Princeton, Ills" on a silver shield inlaid into the side of the buttstock.

I have twelve original schuetzen rifles by Illinois makers and two by Iowa makers. All but two are "bullet guns" rather than roundball. Round ball guns were definitely the exception rather than the rule. Also, every one of these rifles has some form of elevation adjustable, tang-mounted, peep sight. I can't say that I've ever seen one that did not.  A v-notch, open sight is simply not part of the schuetzen tradition (at least in this country), let alone a non-adjustable one. About half of the rifles I have, also have a windage adjustment on the rear sight. These sights are fascinating in and of themselves, hand-made and no two alike, unless made by the same gunmaker.

If you  would like some further reading on the subject, The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle, by John Hamilton & Tom Rowe is excellent. The pictures in this book are the best quality I have ever seen in any gun book. At least eleven of my rifles are pictured. I notice details in these pictures that are not obvious when looking at the same rifles hanging on my own wall. Rifles are pictured according to geographical origin, with sections on "The East"; "The Midwest"; and "The Far West". There is also a wealth of information on the origins of schuetzen vereins in the United States, where they were located, and details about what went on there.