Author Topic: Turkey Season  (Read 3301 times)

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
Turkey Season
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:52:35 AM »
Wondering how long I can keep flintlock 20 gauge loaded during season and how to protect powder from moisture during times when I'm not hunting? Do I need to plug vent with toothpick or feather when not hunting?
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Turkey Season
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »
I leave mine loaded all season or until I fill a tag. No special things to do to it other than empty the pan and hang a "LOADED" tag on it. No problems.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:17:28 AM »
I don't know if the relative humidity would ever creep in through the vent or not but it wouldn't take much effort to plug it with a sparrow feather each nite and I don't think that would hurt anything.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
It really depends on the weather, it its nasty and rainy there MIGHT be a problem. In bad weather ( or good weather)  check the prime every so often and if you ever find it wet then pull the load and re load it. If powder is dry when you check it, still change the prime  but you should be OK on the load. Dump the pan and plug with a tooth pick when in camp...CAUTION, don't break off the pick in the touch hole!!!! I have kept my flinter loaded for 5 days in good weather and it went of great....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:25:24 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
I do not plug with tooth pick as long ago an old timer told me a wooden tooth pick DRAWS moisture from the air, I do us a feather. I have had no problems keeping a loaded gone for a week or more done it many times. when inside I leave gun muzzle down in the cabinet or if on a rack slanted down to make sure no moisture works it way down to the powder.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
I leave my 12 ga loaded till it gets shot or season runs out. Never had a problem going off. I use the same method that Brian Beckum uses in his dvds. Its just a thin piece of leather rolled up real tight an then laid in the pan with the end covering the vent liner an the hammer let down on the leather to hold it in place. It would take a good dunking for moisture to get in thru the vent in this manner.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
Toothpick or feather will work....never had any wicking with a toothpick..but it could happen..anything can!

Last fall Late muzzleloading deer hunt one dark morning after 2 days with rifle loaded.

I broke the end of the toothpick inside the flash hole..yep..took anther and rammed it  into the powder..
 8 am next morning it flashed like a dream. Ka-Boom.

I use about 1/3 length  wood toothpicks.

all bets off if raining or snowing.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:51:09 PM »
What wattle and shovelbuck said.  I don't usually put anything in the vh but may put a cork in the muzzle.  Never, ever had a misfire.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »
I leave mine loaded all season or until I fill a tag. No special things to do to it other than empty the pan and hang a "LOADED" tag on it. No problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shovebuck ...  now tell him the rest of the story...

You hunt in 'turkey heaven" and the hunts last an hour... You Lucky Dog You!.. :)

Carry on..send some grinning pic's this season....Dan
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:34:29 AM by WaterFowl »

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:10:29 AM »
  My compliments to you sir. Everyone should tag a loaded gun.