Author Topic: Files suggestions for a new guy just starting  (Read 6173 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

Files suggestions for a new guy just starting
« on: April 06, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »
I am gathering the supplies I think I will need to work on the Kibler kit I have on order and one of the things I need help with is a good reference identifying what metal metal files I will need.  I have many metal files, some that I inherited for my dad, that I have used for everything from plumbing to fenders to nuts / bolts to whatever and I am thinking that these files are not what I should be using on this kit. Can someone vector me to a list of files I should have on hand and where I can purchase them? 

Offline PPatch

Re: Files suggestions for a new guy just starting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
There isn't a whole lot of filing to do on a Kibler kit. A light draw filing of the barrel, followed by sanding, if you feel you want the surface smoother (I left mine the way it came). The lock, trigger plate, trigger guard and butt plate will need some initial file work, not much, then you could go to emery paper to finish them to whatever degree you choose.

In short I would bet you already have the files to complete what filing will be needed.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
Others on here advised that the files you want for use on brass will cut a lot better if they are not used on steel. Seems correct in my experience. 

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
   Sounds like you probably do not need files at all. But it does not hurt to get a set for guns anyway. Problem is that good files are expensive and really good files are really expensive. The best files are from F. Dick. Scary expensive but they are oh so nice! I mostly get Grobet files just because they cost a lot less but are still really good. Never go cheap on hand tools.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
  The best files are from F. Dick.

Who sells those? Found their website but it doesn't look like you can just order a couple directly from them.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline ScottH

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:48:48 PM »
What s a source for Grobet files??
Thanks,
Scott

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:46 AM »
There isn't a whole lot of filing to do on a Kibler kit. A light draw filing of the barrel, followed by sanding, if you feel you want the surface smoother (I left mine the way it came). The lock, trigger plate, trigger guard and butt plate will need some initial file work, not much, then you could go to emery paper to finish them to whatever degree you choose.

In short I would bet you already have the files to complete what filing will be needed.

dave

Roger that! 

Offline davebozell

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:50:09 AM »
If you google "Grobet" files, you will find they are available in many places.  I bought mine on eBay in groups with other files.  They are cheaper to buy that way than one at a time.  Vintage files can be sent to Boggs Tools for sharpening, if needed.  Boggs also sell new files.  Again, google is your friend....

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 03:00:46 AM »
Thanks,
Scott

I recently bought a dozen different Grobet files from this place.   http://www.armstrongtoolsupply.com/files/full-size-files.html   Decent prices and I accidently bought the wrong cut of files and they paid the return postage.
David

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
One of the guys in my Kit Building class put together one of Jim's kits and it went together very well. We did have to file a little bit of draft on the tang but it was not much. I also filed a draft on the sides of the trigger plate, front and rear finials trigger guard but again this was very minimal. All of the parts are very well inlet to start with. You will have to cut the dove tail for the rear sight so a good triangular file with a safe side ground onto it would be another good file to have. I have a 4" that I ground a safe side on that I use. I like the smaller size because it helps me keep the dove tail level and square. When I use a bigger file I have a tendency to get out of whack.  :-\

Two files I find almost invaluable is a single cut bastard file and a half round bastard. My favorite is my little 4" half round Nicholson (made in the USA) for this kind of work. I have had this file for 40 years and it has been with me on over 100 rifles and still cuts very well.   ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 05:21:57 AM »
Thanks,
Scott

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist:   https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/finishing-supplies

Scroll down to the middle of the page...

Offline ScottH

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
Yes I was aware that Kibler had some grobet files on his site but the one I was most interested in was sold out.
Thanks everyone.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 06:50:07 AM »

Who sells those? Found their website but it doesn't look like you can just order a couple directly from them.

http://www.dick.de/en/files-and-rasps/information-f/faq-files/ Click on "Where can I purchase Friedrich Dick file?" Then you fill out a form and they get back to you with a list of dealers. The ones with a full selection are pretty much all in Europe. You would think that they would make it easier for you to send them money.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
You can pretty much build a  whole gun with a triangle file and a flat mill bastard, no need to get too fancy. It's nice to have some fine cut files and odd shapes but unless you build alot of guns you'll wonder why you have them.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
You can pretty much build a  whole gun with a triangle file and a flat mill bastard, no need to get too fancy. It's nice to have some fine cut files and odd shapes but unless you build alot of guns you'll wonder why you have them.

Mike,
A craftsman can NOT have too many tools including files or too much money and a
line of UNPAID for orders.

Bob Roller

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-making-hand-tools/wood-files/half-round-vulcanite-file-prod6764.aspx

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2778

These are the ones I feel are a necessity for building a lot of guns. I understand the cabinet rasps have gone down in quality. I fortunately have some older ones, and have Boogs Tool keep them sharp for me. 

Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »
I could not do without my set of Grobet Habilis files.   I have a set for steel and one for brass.  I have lots of other files, but I always use the Habilis files.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
Over the past year and a half or so, ever since I moved five minutes away from the local flea market, I've been going over there regularly and picking up any decent-looking files I can find at a reasonable price (which for me is ~$1 apiece. Some folks think that their old rusty India-made file is worth a lot more 'cause "old file = super special knife steel!").

I've bought maybe two dozen files including maybe 5 or 6 Black Diamond Nicholsons and the same number of of miscellaneous Swiss-made, Heller, or Simmonds, with the bulk being plain old USA made Nicholsons. None of them are as new, of course, but at some point I'm going to go through them and pick out the best to send to J. Boggs, and anything that is too worn for restoration will go into the scrap steel bin and be recycled into something else.

Mr. Brooks is probably correct that you can build a gun with only a triangular and a flat file, if you are assembling a kit or stocking a rifle using all-bought parts. I wouldn't care to try building a rifle out of a barrel, a lock kit, a chunk of wood, and a couple sand-cast parts and sheet brass or forged iron mounts without a set of needle files at the least and preferably a half-round and a round file as well, though. And, of course, most of us do build stuff other than guns from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:15:23 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »
I still build with mostly a flat mill bastard and a triangle file. Add a rat tail file and a couple rasps and that's about it. What do you do with the needle files?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
I found needle files handy for cleaning up the slots for wedge key in the stock.Tight spots in the castings also seemed a little easier to clean up with needle files.Use what works for you imho.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »
I found needle files handy for cleaning up the slots for wedge key in the stock.Tight spots in the castings also seemed a little easier to clean up with needle files.Use what works for you imho.

I use a variety of files because I have them and use needle RASPS in the lock panel
area followed by medium needle files.Home made chisels are a help too and are easy
to make from spring steel scraps.It's not possible to have too many tools for whatever
job is being done.

Bob Roller

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:55 PM »
I still build with mostly a flat mill bastard and a triangle file. Add a rat tail file and a couple rasps and that's about it. What do you do with the needle files?

Been awhile since I built a gun, but lets see...polishing locks, slotting triggerplates, filing acanthus leaves, etc., into buttplates and triggerguard finales, finessing the curves of sideplates and anything else that the rat-tail file leaves unwanted big coarse marks on, putting moldings on thimbles,  tapering screw slots, fitting the cock on the tumbler when assembling a Siler kit, and probably several more things that I've forgotten now. They have much finer corners than the big files I have, which can be very useful, and if I drawfile with them they leave a very smooth finish. I've also found a flat, flexible file to be useful as compensation for my inability to file things dead flat - I can simply bend it slightly and drawfile just a bit out of the center of the piece and get myself back on track. If I was actually good with a file I wouldn't need to do that, of course.

I have an old $15 Nicholson hardware store set that I've used for over 20 years now, and they are just incredibly handy. I'm sure that with some ingenuity one could compensate for not owning a set, but why would you want to?

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
My Dad had a set of Nicholson needle files which belong to me now. Unfortunately, I have broken 2 or 3 of them. I bought a set of cheap chinese needle files but they are nowhere near as good or useful as the Nicholsons. I keep my eyes open at flea markets/ yard sales for files. I have found partial boxes of new old stock files occasionally.
One of my favorites is a small half round swiss pattern file. Another is a safe sided parallel file about 1/4 wide. I like square files, too, because they don't bend. I have a Heller 2nd cut half round probably 14" long that is a real workhorse. It cuts fast and leaves a nice, smooth finish. I thought I had ruined it years ago by accidentally "hot- rasping" with it. I was sure glad when Boggs sent it back without red paint on the tang.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
  Polecat by what I have seen of Jim's kits. Your not going to need much. A couple small flat files,triangular file an a screwdriver. Jim's kit is amazingly well thought out. Now if you plan on inlays an metal engraving. Then follow the help suggested above. But I'm with Mike you don't need much to build a gun. Coming from a guy that's built almost 400 he might have an idea. Just my $.02.  Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »

I looked at the F.Dick page and haven't figured out if they are selling files or starting a religion.

Bob Roller