Author Topic: dial calipers  (Read 11909 times)

n stephenson

Re: dial calipers
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
Oldtraveler , I was talking about the comment" people who don`t use calipers ,don`t build guns" . That has got to be one of the most absurd things ever posted here. Like I said I`m still waiting on my $50 for the bursted barrels that never happened!! 

Offline hudson

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
I have a bunch of calipers mostly lying in handy places, hate running out to the shop when needed else were. Favorite is a Brown & Sharp with a black face. Have two Harbor Freight digitals which work well, I did get one that was off quite a bit and returned. Mititoyo has been a good one. Have a cheap 6” in my shooting box that has come in handy a few times through the years at Friendship though not as accurate as I would like. All have been checked with gages used for my mikes. The important thing keep them clean, close don’t leave open to get dirt in the track, wipe the jaws before use. If off clean and re-calibrate with the instructions that came with them. I fear my Brown and sharp jaw tips are showing some wear. Seems like I have a habit of using them doing layout work scribing lines after bluing the work.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:09 PM »
I have a bunch of calipers mostly lying in handy places, hate running out to the shop when needed else were. Favorite is a Brown & Sharp with a black face. Have two Harbor Freight digitals which work well, I did get one that was off quite a bit and returned. Mititoyo has been a good one. Have a cheap 6” in my shooting box that has come in handy a few times through the years at Friendship though not as accurate as I would like. All have been checked with gages used for my mikes. The important thing keep them clean, close don’t leave open to get dirt in the track, wipe the jaws before use. If off clean and re-calibrate with the instructions that came with them. I fear my Brown and sharp jaw tips are showing some wear. Seems like I have a habit of using them doing layout work scribing lines after bluing the work.
You sound like me -- I do exactly as you even down to the scribing thing. I find them very useful and keep one handy always ;D. For most people you don't need the top of the line model and one that repeats is paramount - I like the digital models now and I remove the battery when not in use at the end of the day ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »
  Nat you have my sincere apology. Just a tad touchy at something's. There's always a different way. Just because someone does it differently Doesn't make it wrong. But some think you can only build guns a certain way. An yes I am also looking for those barrels too!  Oldtravler