Author Topic: Kit Carson Hawken Sighting In  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Herb

Kit Carson Hawken Sighting In
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:30:32 AM »
Before putting the finish on my latest Hawken, a near exact copy of Kit Carson's rifle, I fired it for functioning and sighted it in.  I used Hornady .530 balls, 60 grains of Olde Eynsford 2F and pillow ticking- which tore.  Shot at 50 yards from bench.  The sights are Track's RS-KC-16 (for a 1" barrel, but mine is 1 1/8 to 1 tapered, 31 1/8" long).  I fired three shots then filed the front sight lower- and repeated twice.  Shots 6, 7, 8, and 9 were with .012 linen (crushed reading), which did not tear.  I filed the front sight lower after shot 7.  I had a damp patch on the seating jag so the barrel got wiped at each loading.

I knew this would result in a low sight, but that is how the original is.  The sight is now .150 tall.  It is Track's FS-TC-CB-81, which is .275 tall above the barrel flat.

The rear sight is Track's RS-KC-16, I think a close copy of the original, but the top of the notch is only .215 tall.  This means a low front sight, but that is like the original.  That is why I make my own rear sights for Bridger and the previous Carson rifle I made, and why I had this one left over.

So now on to the finishing, and I plan to shoot this in Jim's Peep Shoot at Easter.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:59:47 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline RobertS

Re: Kit Carson Hawken Sighting In
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:48:44 AM »
Very nice, look forward to seeing it finished

Offline Herb

Re: Kit Carson Hawken Sighting In
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:43 AM »
I forgot to say that these photos were posted using the new photo upload feature.  It is easy, I like it.
Herb