Author Topic: Dove Tail File ??  (Read 12738 times)

Offline Bigmon

Dove Tail File ??
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
I been "faking" my dovetail slots for way too long and have decided it is time to get a real dovetail file.
Well, I found our real quick that isnt so easily done.
TOW doesnt carry them, nor MLBS.
I found them on MidwayUSA web site, but when I went to order, they have discontinued them.
I have found them on another site for near $50.  Will be more once shipped.

Just wondering if anyone knows a reasonable place to but a dovetail file??

Thanks

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Dove Tail File ??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Sorry but no I don't. If you buy a 3-corner (60 degree) 5/16 wide per side file you can grind and stone off the teeth on one flat of the file - you will then have a "dovetail file". Brownells sell one and it is around that $50 price tag as you already know.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:36:33 PM »
I've had two of the Brownells files for over 15 years.  They are worth every penny.  Nice and sharp, have cut lots of dovetails.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
I like the dove tail files as they have parallel sides and it is easy to keep the dove tail square where the tapered three corner files can cause you some trouble if you don't pay real close attention.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the prompt resposes.
I been using the "home made" dove tail file method, that I made from a three cornered file by grinding the teeth off one side to make it safe.

But correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that the wrong angle??  Arn't those angles each 120 degrees??  While a true dove tail is just 60 degrees.
Plus the fact that the sides of the actual dovetail file are paralell, seems to be a big improovement?

I know that $50 is probably ok, but the ones that Midway HAD were only $10 or $12.  Wonder why the difference?
Surly someplace else has something??
BTW, those on Midway were made by Wheeler Engineering.
I tried searching that name but my computer is such a pc of $#@* that it was taking all day.
Man what a frustrating day, I got nothing done yet and it is near 2 PM.
Thanks ya'all.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
A tirangular file is 60-degrees per side.  It is correct.  A safe side 3-corner file is a correct tool.  Just make one from a regular file. 

For rear sights I like the looks of a dovetail chissel made slots with the kicked up metal.  Track sells those chissels.  They help me get the slot closer to 90-degrees to the barrel.  Getting the slot 90-degrees is tough for me to do free hand. 

Kit Carson't hawken had the rear sight crooked.  I guess it depends on your sandards

I start my dovetials on a milling machine.  That makes getting the depth perfect easy.  On front sights that is important else they look bad sith a gap under the blade. 

My next tool order will include a 60-degree dovetail milling cutter. 

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »
Like others, I've never bought one, I bought a triangle file and ground one side safe. I may have $5 including the handle.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
Friends,
I do appreciate all the input and advise.  Goodness knows, I need it.
But I do not think a regular three sided triangular file gives the correct 60 degree angle that a true dovetail is supposed to be.
I could very much be wrong, but please consider:
The tree sides triangular file were talking about has to be 120 degrees each angle, by definition as a triangle has 360 degrees and with three angle that makes 120 degrees each??
Dont seem like a big diff from a 60 degree dove tail but in truth, it is twice as much.
I have made some nice dovetails with the tree sided file.  I am just trying to do a little nicer job of it, like I said before, I need all the help I can get.
This is a great web site.
Take care and thanks

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
Sorry but no I don't. If you buy a 3-corner (60 degree) 5/16 wide per side file you can grind and stone off the teeth on one flat of the file - you will then have a "dovetail file". Brownells sell one and it is around that $50 price tag as you already know.

Some three cornered files have a small radius on the corners. Try to find
one that has sharp corners and then grind one side flat.
I have a couple of them and they work fine.
$50 is not too much if it's a quality tool.I have paid about that much for
a checkering file.

Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 11:20:22 PM »
I have ground one side smooth on several triangle files and they have all worked fine.  I bought a real dovetail file from Brownell's years ago and found it to do no better work than my "home made" versions.  I find that I can get a sharper corner on mine then comes from the factory.  You just have to take your time grinding, or in my case disc sanding, to keep it cool and not lose the temper.
David

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
Brownells sell one and it is around that $50 price tag as you already know.
I know I am cheap, but I don't mind paying a fair price for good tools but there is no way I could justify paying anywhere near $50 for a dove tail file! What is the world is it made of, carbide?
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:34:56 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »
The tree sides triangular file were talking about has to be 120 degrees each angle, by definition as a triangle has 360 degrees and with three angle that makes 120 degrees each??
Dont seem like a big diff from a 60 degree dove tail but in truth, it is twice as much.
I have made some nice dovetails with the tree sided file.  I am just trying to do a little nicer job of it, like I said before, I need all the help I can get.
Math was never my strong point but I know I cut my dove tails with a 60 degree dove tail cutter then final fit it with a triangular file with one side ground safe. It fits the dove tail perfectly so the file angle must be 60 degree.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ScottH

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:09 AM »
"Friends,
I do appreciate all the input and advise.  Goodness knows, I need it.
But I do not think a regular three sided triangular file gives the correct 60 degree angle that a true dovetail is supposed to be.
I could very much be wrong, but please consider:
This is a great web site.
Take care and thanks"

The geometry here is off. Triangles have to equal 180 degrees not 360 degrees, thus an equilateral triangle is 60 degrees on each angle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »
The angles in triangles add to 180 degrees. Think of a right triangle. One angle is 90 degrees. Each of the other 2 are 45 degrees.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »
A three sided equilateral triangle, such as the common triangular file is, is 60 degrees each side. A tri file is easy to locate. Most any industrial tool supplier will have them. I've got about a dozen in various sizes, most of them I keep at work. Any 60 degree tri file can be safe sided carefully on a belt sander and have the taper portion broken off for dovetail usage
Psalms 144

Offline EC121

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:51 AM »
The corners of the file are on 120deg points on the 360deg.circle, but the angles of the flats are 60deg.
Brice Stultz

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »
Triangle_degrees" border="0

Hopefully this helps a bit...

The sum of all the internal angles equal 180 degrees (60+60=60). The sum of the outer angle and the complementary angle inside also equal 180 degrees (120+60).  Cthulhu continues to slumber in R'lyeh, and all is right in the world.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 02:39:08 AM »
After all this I'm shocked the pyramids didn't end up round or square or built at all ???

Offline flehto

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »
In 1976 when first started building MLers, bought a triangular file and snapped off the tapered length, then ground one side safe on a bench grinder. The safe side is slightly hollow ground and has sharp corners. This file has cut many dovetails and is still plenty sharp. The file cost less than 5 bucks.....Fred 

Offline Firelock

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
I use the Brownell's dovetail file and it is excellent. Besides having two safe sides, it is also parallel sided, which hardware store files are not. They are tapered. The parallel edges give you a more controlled, precise cut.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
I bought some used safe sided dovetail files from Mike Lea a couple of years ago. These are the type from Brownells. I use them after roughing out a dove tail with regular home ground 3 cornered files. These worn out files help me make a much better dovetail than I can make with a standard 3 cornered file because they have the correct angle and are parallel sided. And the job goes faster too. Have been intending to order some new ones. Think I will get that done today.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
Back in the day, I was taught that all triangles had their angles add up to 180 degrees. Sure glad I went to school before all this "new math" was taught.   ::)
David

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
There is some confusion going on here.  To be clear, the fancy Brownells file is also 60-degrees.  The hardware store file is 60-degrees.  Your sight is 60-degrees.   The Brownells file works the same as the hardware store one you ground a safe side on with your grinder or belt sander.  I'm sure the Brownells file is a fine tool, just not worth 10X the money, to me.

Now, there are milling cutters and special files that cut 65-degrees.  That is for certain modern guns and sights.  You don't want that one. 

autodidact

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 02:18:00 AM »
Skinner Sights sells a safe sided file for about half the price of the Brownell's version if you wish to purchase rather than grind your own.  I have used one from Skinner for years and find no fault.  I cut off the tapered section off of mine.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:29 AM »
All the hardware store 3-corner files that I have bought were tapered so when you push the file through the slot it gets wider(the file) and will make it tricky to get even dove tails. Yes it can be done as many do it. The reg. dove tail file just makes it less tricky.