Author Topic: Graver handle  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Graver handle
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »
I asked this question some time ago and got a link for what I needed then procrastinated long enough that I lost the information.....very typical.... ::)

I need a steel graver handle to hold a 3/32" square graver that I can chase with. I've been looking on the net and can't find one. Anyone help me with a link? I'm getting tired of using my goofy bolt with a hole drilled in it..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Graver handle
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
Mike,
PM sent.
David

Offline kutter

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »
These Belgian Style (#3) Steel handles  take 1/8"d round or 3/32 sq gravers. Simple allan set screw near the end to hold the graver point securely or to change them out. I just leave them in and use more handles. $8 a piece and they'll outlast me for sure.
I've been using these for many years.

http://www.ngraver.com/tools.htm
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:19:53 PM by kutter »

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
Good price Kutter.
If you know someone with access to a lathe they are pretty simple to make. Jim Kibler made some for our engraving class out of mild square stock. Drilled an undersized hole and the square cutter edoes made their own path. I hardened the tapping end and they work super. Very quick and easy and all you need is a drill press.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »
These Belgian Style (#3) Steel handles  take 1/8"d round or 3/32 sq gravers. Simple allan set screw near the end to hold the graver point securely or to change them out. I just leave them in and use more handles. $8 a piece and they'll outlast me for sure.
I've been using these for many years.

http://www.ngraver.com/tools.htm

I always have made my own handles, but at $8 each, I can't afford to make them!

The beauty of this style tool bit graver is that you can take the bit out, and sharpen it in a Lindsay template system or a GRS sharpening fixture, etc.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »
Thanks all. I think Dave Rase saved me on yet another of my problems. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Yeah Mike, Dave seems to do that a lot for people.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
I have a couple of extra calipers Mike. I could send you one if you want to measure those handles.  ;D

Offline David Rase

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:06 PM »
The tools are on their way!  I hope they are not too fancy for you.  I can't do plain. ;D
David

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:36:34 AM by David Rase »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »
Dang David,  em are nice!  You never cease to amaze me my friend!
I wouldn't mind a set of those myself!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
The tools are on their way!  I hope they are not too fancy for you.  I can't do plain. ;D
David

Dang!  Now all my engraving will look just like Jerry Huddleston's. ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
Two handles just arrived! He must of known I needed these before I did..... :o

Offline mountainman

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 05:29:55 AM »
Hmm nice, I might  just  have to order a  pair.. kinda wondering what the price might be?

Offline David Rase

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 07:17:53 AM »
Hmm nice, I might  just  have to order a  pair.. kinda wondering what the price might be?
mountainman,
I am not in the graver handle business.  I made this set as a favor for Mike.  I have too many irons in the fire as it is.  I do appreciate you asking though.
David

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Hard to find on Lindsay's site but it's there.
http://airgraver.com/Manual-Engraving-Tools.htm

$56.50
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
Hard to find on Lindsay's site but it's there.
http://airgraver.com/Manual-Engraving-Tools.htm

$56.50
A few years back there was one of Lindsay's handles for sale that I got to handle.  I did not like the feel or the weight of the Lindsay handle.  It was heavy and felt clunky in my hand, like a mini barbell.  Also, I think the price is outrageous, but then I have my own lathe.

David
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:00:52 PM by David Rase »

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »

Do you have a drill press?  If you do you can make a set like the ones described in this link.  http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?page_id=4376   

http://i0.wp.com/sterlingsculptures.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Hammer_Chisel_Tutorial_1i.jpg?resize=640%2C453

I made mine similar, but I prefer a wood handle, so I drilled piece of wood that was 5/8x5/8x5 and epoxied the steel rod into it.  I then proceeded to use my belt sander to round off the edges so that I had a semi round piece of wood.  I left part of the flat spots so it would not roll off my workbench.   3/8 diameter steel rod from the big box stores come in 3 foot lengths, enough for you to make some, lose some, and still have some leftover.

Offline kutter

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 12:54:05 AM »
I used nothing but plain wooden handles when I first started. Different sizes and diameters, some home-made, others commercially made handles usually removed from other hand tools.
They all gave perfectly good results. But over time I just developed a need, or at least I thought it would suit me better, to use a heavier handle. Something that would absorb the vibration of the hammer during heavier work was needed, a more solid feel was what I was after.

So I gave those Belgian Style Steel handles that NGraver still sells a try. I bought a couple from Ray after seeing them and him at a show in the early 80's. I tried them out there and they seemed right.

They won't serve everyone of course and style, shape , length weight are concerns that everyone differs on.
Don't hesitate to try different styles till one feels just right. Your hand and wrist can get awfully cramped using one that doesn't quite suit you even though you are  adapting to it and still putting out good work.
Even with mine, I had altered them some over the years I used them, a couple I shortened (which didn't work as well as expected!), I had wrapped the handle with thin leather in some instances for a more comfortable and bigger grip sometimes, removed that, ect.
I had always left the peened over hammered end in tact on the handle. It's sort of a reminder to me that I've been working at it for a long time.

Choose a hammer the same way. I liked a heavier hammer, never cared for the standard engravers style though I have a couple and have one I made as well trying to find the right 'one'. Tried slimming and otherwise altering the handles of the chasing hammers too, but they never felt quite right.
I settled on what I was using as a bench hammer in my gunsmithing, a Craftsman 2oz ballpeen,,a gift from the Repair Dept at Marlin. Used for all but the most delicate of  inlay detail,,then it's one of the lightweight engravers chaser hammers. That Craftsman hammer has been at it since I started this in '71.

With all that,,I recently had to give up the hammer(s) and chisel for an air assisted engraving unit due to some unfortunate accidents and med problems. Not being able to hold the chisel is a bad thing when you're supposed to be an engraver!
I thought I was done totally, but the air tool has allowed me to keep working to this time.

So there are lots of options out there and plenty of price ranges.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:01:53 AM by kutter »