Author Topic: Coning a barrel (my way)  (Read 32020 times)

Online Bob Roller

Re: Coning a barrel (my way)
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
A long angled overlap works on my expanding rubber wheels that I use on my modified
bench grinders.These are extension shafts powered by a common 6" bench grinder with
2 expanding rubber wheels on each side.Try this long angle lap joint on the tapered shaft
and see how it works.I use Elmer's carpenter's glue to hold mine together.
Bob Roller   

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 07:28:00 PM »
I don't know if I have posted this here before or not. I do think that people would be ahead to read TK Dawson's description (JD Baird sure did not do this work) of the last few inches of the bore of the the rifle he and Baird did accuracy testing with in chapter 7 of Baird's "Hawken Rifles". From my reading in the last 1.5" there is .0005" enlargement for 1 1/4" and then and additional .002" enlargement to the muzzle. This is only .001" per side. The .0005" is probably just accidental, perhaps from a lapping operation. Remembering they had no precision measuring equipment at the time. In the factories in the East everything was made to gages not measured. Precision measuring equipment while known back to the 1600s was not on the factory floor until after the American Civil War. The "pocket" sized mic was patented  by Brown & Sharp in 1868.
I would also point out that the limiting factor of the ML rifle is not the rifle its usually the sights and the shooters eyesight. With calm conditions and a telescopic sight or a good tang and aperture front the rifle should shoot all shots touching at 100 yards.
Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant”. James Madison

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 12:54:43 AM »
Considering how my .69 shot at 100 yards/meters back in the last '80's when my eyesight was good, as well as the advertising pictures of machine rest groups Hugh Tonges has posted
using his barrels, I emphatically agree with you Dan, on the potential accuracy of round ball shooting muzzleloading rifles.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Longknife

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 10:40:53 PM »
I don't know if I have posted this here before or not. I do think that people would be ahead to read TK Dawson's description (JD Baird sure did not do this work) of the last few inches of the bore of the the rifle he and Baird did accuracy testing with in chapter 7 of Baird's "Hawken Rifles". From my reading in the last 1.5" there is .0005" enlargement for 1 1/4" and then and additional .002" enlargement to the muzzle. This is only .001" per side. The .0005" is probably just accidental, perhaps from a lapping operation. Remembering they had no precision measuring equipment at the time. In the factories in the East everything was made to gages not measured. Precision measuring equipment while known back to the 1600s was not on the factory floor until after the American Civil War. The "pocket" sized mic was patented  by Brown & Sharp in 1868.
I would also point out that the limiting factor of the ML rifle is not the rifle its usually the sights and the shooters eyesight. With calm conditions and a telescopic sight or a good tang and aperture front the rifle should shoot all shots touching at 100 yards.

Dan, Yes you have posted this numerous times on this forum but if you will read the title to this tutorial, it says "Coning a barrel MY WAY" so the discussion should center about how I cone MY barrels. Not how someone else finished their barrels over 150 years ago. If you want to discuss barrel making 150 years ago you need to start a separate thread and quit trying to sabotage my tutorial.  This is not the first time you have done this, very rude.,,,Ed 
Ed Hamberg