Author Topic: Black powder load for 16 gauge  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Black powder load for 16 gauge
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »
The 'chart' I have uses both dram measure and gr. powder measures for cross-reference of shot and powder.

powder measure          shot in ounces          Powder in Drams

50gr.                                            3/4
55 gr.                                                                                   2
60 gr.                                           7/8
62 gr.                                                                               2 1/4
68 gr.                                                                               2 1/2
70 gr.                                            1
75 gr.                                                                               2 3/4
80 gr.                                            1 1/8
82 gr.                                                                               3
89 gr.                                                                               3 1/4
90 gr.                                            1 1/4
96 gr.                                                                                3 1/2
100 gr.                                          1 3/8
102 gr.                                                                              3 3/4
109 gr.                                                                              4
110 gr.                                          1 1/2
120 gr.                                          1 5/8

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:58:57 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
Mike, where the heck did you find #4 shot?.........sonnyboy
Beats me, I've been using the same 25# bag for 30 years.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
These folks here will sell you all the #4 shot you can handle

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lead_shot_magnum_4.htm
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sonny

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
You guys ever try copper plated or bismuth in your smoothies? or is it a NO-NO to shoot the stuff?? Trying to buy the nicer cushion wads from track/wolf is still on back order............sheesh!!!!.........I never thought I would need a year to get stuff ready for turkey this season.............sonny

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
You guys ever try copper plated or bismuth in your smoothies? or is it a NO-NO to shoot the stuff?? Trying to buy the nicer cushion wads from track/wolf is still on back order............sheesh!!!!.........I never thought I would need a year to get stuff ready for turkey this season.............sonny
Copper plate or bismuth will work fine in a fowling gun, although I wouldn't drink it in a smoothie. Cancel your TOTW order and Google Mike's Shotgun Wads and place an order. They'll get you what you want quick.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:58:56 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »
Copper or nickle plated lead shot, or bismuth are fine and no sleeve needed.  Purdey's (Bond Street?) even says bismuth is fine in it's antique SXS shotguns. Saw that published back in the 80's or 90's.

Steel, iron or tungsten shot - needs a sleeve of some sort to protect the tube from scratching - (this is recommended - I have no personal experience shooting those types of shot) I would personally not use ANY of those in a muzzleloading gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V