Author Topic: A one spurred 2 yr old  (Read 3117 times)

Offline wattlebuster

A one spurred 2 yr old
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »
Got to my spot this morning an was treated very rudely by all the gobblers. Sometimes silence is not golden. Went ahead an stayed just sitting an blind calling an I even dozed off a time or three but anyway about 10:20 I woke up an gave out a few yelps on the ole lynch box an BAM he gobbled about 100 yrds or so . I made three soft clucks an laid the call down an got Achilles up on my knee with his hammer back an didnt have to wait but about 2 minutes an 2 gobblers walked in to about 20 yrds of me. The first had about a 6 inch beard an right behind him was this nice 2 yr old an being he had the better beard I let Achilles put him on the ground. He never even flopped. He has a 9 inch beard an only one spur an its 7/8ths long. I guess the weight at about 18 lbs

upload pic
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:13:17 PM by wattlebuster »
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: A one spurred 2 yr old
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
  Wattlebuster very nice! That is one nice smoothie you got there. Not to mention the bag an horn too! Last but not least very nice turkey...!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »
Beautiful. If interested I'd barter for feathers to use to fletch arrows.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
I suspect the real story is you found that old Tommy taking a nap and quick piled all your stuff on him and snapped a picture before he woke up..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
I think he has been in some likker off an old still Mike. Passed out from corn squeezings
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
There should be about six flight feathers on each wing...excellent for fletching arrows.  Keep the rights and lefts separated and don't mix 'em up on the arrows.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
Very nice. Wish I still had time to hunt. Spring gobbler was my favorite season. 20 yards? What is the bore and load you used? Is the piece choked at all? Shot size?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline trentOH

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Looks like dinner!

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Congrats! I need to get out and try for one soon.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
Very nice!  I'll be looking for a 20 yard shot myself in a few weeks.  That, or a passed-out gobbler that got into the corn likker....  ;)
Jerry

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
Congrats, but you're killing me - still 3 more days until our season opens.  :(
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
I spect' he had a tussle with a buddy over who would answer your call....and lost; 1. the spur during the tussle.   2. the stare-down with Achilles.  ::)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:55:22 PM »
Very nice. Wish I still had time to hunt. Spring gobbler was my favorite season. 20 yards? What is the bore and load you used? Is the piece choked at all? Shot size?

This load works for me an by no means am I suggesting to anyone that they shoot what I do or the size shot that I do. First off Its jug choked full by Danny Caywood. Im a firm believer in hitting as hard as you can with as big as what patterns good an this gun shoots great with 100 gn fg an a duplex load of 4s and 2s. The shot load has a 60 grn measure of 2s and a 60 grn measure of 4s that are mixed.There are no shot cups an I use just 4 or 5 overshot cards over the powder an 1 over the shot.  I know everybody says you will get more holes in paper with 6s BUT I aint shootin paper.

galudwig

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 04:52:35 AM »
Can't argue against what works (although there are a couple on here who will always do so anyway  ::) ). Congrats on another fine bird!