Author Topic: Carving mallet information  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Carving mallet information
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 12:42:05 AM »
 Dogwood makes a Great mallet. TC

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
   I really like my lignum vitae mallets. They are just basic mallets turned from a single piece of wood. I bought them about 25 years ago. They are dirty, but still in excellent condition. I like them because they are very heavy for the size. Only problem is that I don't have any small ones. This discussion got me to thinking I need to get a few little ones. When I bought these, they were pretty much the only mallets out there. Last time I looked was about 5 years ago and they were tough to find. Tonight I cannot find a single one for sale anywhere on the internet. What happened? How can they just vanish like that. Seems like it is the best wood there is for mallets. Why would everyone stop making them?

Offline BJH

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
I have a selection similar to Burnt, two 20 oz. Or so clubs for general whacking. And a couple of forklift roller faced clubs that weigh about 12 oz. These are a close approximation of the pipe coupling headed club he has. Plus a assortment of hammers for other uses. BJH
BJH

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
   I really like my lignum vitae mallets. They are just basic mallets turned from a single piece of wood. I bought them about 25 years ago. They are dirty, but still in excellent condition. I like them because they are very heavy for the size. Only problem is that I don't have any small ones. This discussion got me to thinking I need to get a few little ones. When I bought these, they were pretty much the only mallets out there. Last time I looked was about 5 years ago and they were tough to find. Tonight I cannot find a single one for sale anywhere on the internet. What happened? How can they just vanish like that. Seems like it is the best wood there is for mallets. Why would everyone stop making them?

There aren't that many Lignam Vitae trees left. I think that they are considered endangered and are no longer cut, and I know that the wood is very scarce. People are cutting up old pieces to make new stuff, reminiscent of ivory.

I've tried a rubber mallet, a clawhammer with a rag held on with a rubberband to pad the metal head, a homemade mallet made from a 3x3x6" red oak scrap on a piece of hickory for a handle, and a 22oz mallet turned from some very dense tropical hardwood (not lignam vitae). The latter is by far the best choice, and the one I use today.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »
 Go down to the goodwill store and buy an old rolling pin. The type with the stationary handle and try to find a maple or hardwood one.  I have never had any trouble finding one.  Saw it about 23the way in half. Then you will have a heavy one and a light one. Mine has worked for about 20 years. It's nice to have a small one at times.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Stickburner

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 05:52:33 AM »
I appreciare all the comments.  I'm going to hit my wife's favorite junk stores and try to find an old rolling pin I can cut down and make two mallets.  In the mean time I'll continue using my old soft faced hammer until get to Jim's class in a few weeks and try out his urethane mallet.

Stay tuned, I've got a lot more questions than answers.

Richard

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:18 AM »
A mallet made by recycling milk cartons.

Another way  to make a fancy HDPE block out of #2 recyclable HDPE.