Author Topic: How tight should barrel to stock fit be?  (Read 2390 times)

Tennessee.45

How tight should barrel to stock fit be?
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
I got the barrel channel cut out, but the barrel is a little tight in the channel (the barrel won't fall out) how tight should the barrel be in the channel?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: How tight should barrel to stock fit be?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »
You should be able to easily press it into place when you are finished inletting it.    If I were going to put a number to it,  I would say that the channel should be .000-.002" over the size of the barrel.   The breech can be a little tighter than the forearm.    If you stress the forearm at the beginning,  it will eventually crack as it dries.   

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 01:44:38 AM »
I like to inlet so that the stock touches the sides of the barrel but exerts NO pressure.  In effect, the barrel just sits in the channel and will fall out if turned over.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 01:59:37 AM »
I have been experimenting with heating the metal part to about the temperature that straw color first appears.  350-400*F?  I then press the part into the tight inlet and let it cool.  It does not burn the wood.  It does seem to soften the lignen and make a perfect fit.  IF it smokes it is too hot.  Somebody here gave me the idea, it works.  I am not sure if I'd try it on a whole barrel, , maybe a better gunsmith than I can comment on the idea. 

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:16:45 AM »
I got the barrel channel cut out, but the barrel is a little tight in the channel (the barrel won't fall out) how tight should the barrel be in the channel?

When you put the sealer and the finish on the stock the barrel probably won't fit back in or it shouldn't. You will have to relieve it to a slip fit. A slip fit is about .003" to .005 ".  I do this by sanding the sides with a block and 220 grit.  The wood will expand and contract forever. Therefore the fit will never stay the same. I also grease my barrel on the sides when I install it for the last time. I will set my barrel down in the stock at the breach and then work towards the muzzle relieving it as I go until it will slip into the channel.  ---- Hang around with old men. They know stuff. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.