Author Topic: ...Jesse Bean Rifle..?....  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

...Jesse Bean Rifle..?....
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
 ??? ???... Old rifle found in Lincoln / Franklin Co. TENNESSEE area.....reported to be by the hand of Jesse Bean, Bean's Creek, Huntland TN area......Full length Black Walnut stock....42" bbl. ... Jos. Golcher caplock.... cast brass buttplate, forged iron trigger-guard & triggers...formed copper nosecap, two brass & one copper ramrod pipes...paneled rounded cheek-rest....spearpoint 7" barrel tang...have seen one other with same design, stocked in lightly figured maple,..has been in same family over 100+ years and known as the "Bean's Creek Gun"........opionions & comments appreciated.... Thanx, boys......regards, Fiddler........

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:27:32 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Molly

Re: ...Jesse Bean Rifle..?....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Great old rifle.  Look deep and you can see the history and events of it's past.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Been wondering about the maker/s I've heard of down that way.  Tha's only 2 counties South of me.  Going to Grundy in a minute anyhoo.

Thanks for sharing. 
Hold to the Wind

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
CCF  , Cool rifle!!  not far from home. Any idea of when it was built . The" mix" of metals in the various mounts is a really neat feature to me . It shows how they used what they had and, proceeded forward without the constraints of being "correct" They just went for it. VERY COOL!!!  Thanks for posting .  Nate

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
 ;) ;)

.... Couple photos of the cave used by Jesse Bean as his gun shop, and the Tennessee Historical Commission marker at the site.... near Huntland, ..Franklin Co. Tennessee.......
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:29:26 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:12:47 AM »
I reckon I posted these photos in the wrong place, so here we go!
Owned by the same family until I got it several years ago.  They lived on Bean Creak off of Vanzant Road in Franklin County close to the Alabama line.  The cave where Jesse Bean built his rifles is within a mile or so of where I found it.  This is about 15 miles east of were the Bearden's lived.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:31:18 PM by Ky-Flinter »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:57:59 AM »
Great to see these old rifles.  I find it interesting that both rifles carry locks that to my eye, do not fit the architecture of the rifle.  They were used and made to fit, but....
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:23:26 AM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx for that post, SR....sure would be good to see one in flint.... esp. since he was building here prior to 1830.....She is a nice rifle....trigger set is very similar.... does yours have the typical "Kentucky" cheek...?? ... what is bbl length..??

Fastcar11

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »
That's most likely James W Gotcher. We went to chruch with the Bean family. James was Massacred in Texas right after the runaway scrape 1836.

By any chance does anyone know were this rifle is?

Jason Gotcher.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »
Is this the same one?

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/james-golcher-45-cal-pa-long-rifle-82748b1b67

No, the rifle shown at the link above is not the same as either of the 2 rifles discussed above.  I have fixed the picture links so you can see the rifles now.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Fastcar11

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 08:53:35 PM »
Thanks sir. I'm just learning that Joseph Golcher manufactured rifles and parts. I was thinking Jos Golcher was an owner name.

Sorry to confuse anyone.