Author Topic: Tennessee Mountain Rifles  (Read 13050 times)

Offline gibster

Re: Tennessee Mountain Rifles
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
Here is a Samuel Keller (attributed). Worked in Maryville Tenn.

private image sharing

Ambrose Lawing (attributed)

Here's another Deep River rifle without a butt plate. There's quite a few survivors out there.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:11:24 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »
Here's one with a Robert Hughes attribution.  I know it's been on here before but it's the only  one I have.

Maybe it's been seen here before, but I'm sure glad you reposted it:  I'd missed it earlier, and this posting made me run for my work table and go to gouging on the buttstock I'd thought I'd just about finished whittling on.

Funny thing about it is, the closer I get mine to shaped like Hughes did on this one, the better she feels against my cheek... and I'd thought it felt pretty good before. 

That's what I love about what I think of as the "classic" SMR:  they might look simplistic, but those ol' boys were masters of form-to-function design.

Dave if you would like a few more pictures for your work let me know . I can email them to you direct.  Jim
JIM

Dave Patterson

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:14 AM »
Here's one with a Robert Hughes attribution...
Dave if you would like a few more pictures for your work let me know . I can email them to you direct.  Jim

That, Sir, would be very helpful:  thank you!

pattersondbp@gmail.com

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »
Dennis,
Thanks for posting pictures of your southern rifle. This gun was featured in a 1996 Muzzle Blasts and was no. 5 in Roy Mckights video of southern guns. I've admired it ever since.
 A few years ago I built one based on it, including the one piece forged trigger guard and copper ram rod pipes. I used a 42" swamped barrel and a L&R lock. It's good to see the extra details in these quality photos.

Eric

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, also good to know that the rifle was featured in one of the 1996 Muzzleblasts. Sure would like to read the article to see what they have to say about the rifle (if anyone knows the issue I would like to know which one to look for). Ray thought the rifle was from Rowan County but several NC collectors believe it came from the Guildford County area of NC.

Would love to see the one you built. I figured one of these days I will build a copy of it but too many other projects to finish first.

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:59:44 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 01:15:45 AM »
 ;) ;)... looked through a stack of old MuzzleBlasts....only found 7 issues from '96, and not the one with the article....if anyone knows that exact issue, I will try to find it and send to Dennis......Cheers,....Fiddler.....

Offline jim alford

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:17 AM »
I think the article you are looking for is in the September 96 issue of MUZZLE BLASTS ,  vol.1 #3 . It is under the heading of ' PLAIN SOUTHERN RIFLE '.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 03:51:30 AM »
 ;)... Thanx.... will try to find this one....!!!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 04:55:30 AM »
Thanks, I will go through my stacks and see if I can find that one.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
The Muzzle Blasts issue is Aug 1996. Also check out Roy Mcknight's Video "Southern Rifles Plain And Fancy".

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:22 PM »
Could the box and the Bible gun be a later addition?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
The Muzzle Blasts issue is Aug 1996. Also check out Roy Mcknight's Video "Southern Rifles Plain And Fancy".

I have Ray McKnight's video, Ken Guy had posted information on this video several years ago and I bought a copy before I ended up buying the rifle.

I would like to buy a copy of that Muzzle Blast issue (Aug 1996) if anyone has a copy they would sell.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
Could the box and the Bible gun be a later addition?

I wondered the same thing, maybe the box was from another gun and adapted to this one. Note the curvature and how far it is from the BP. Still looks like its been there a long time.

I really like that front sight, I don't remember ever seeing one like that nor a tang like that either.
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:24:52 PM by Dennis Glazener »

ghost

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »
Is this the rifle being discussed? It's available on Muzzleblasts online
[/url]

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:14:28 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 01:04:25 AM »
Yes that's the one. I looked at the Muzzleblasts website to see if a copy of the book was available and didn't see where you could get back copies. I will google and see if I can find Muzzleblast online.

OK I found it, thanks Ghost, its interesting that Ray says "The origin of this rifle is somewhere along the Deep River region of Guilford County, North Carolina" in this article and if I am not badly mistaken he says "Rowan County" on his CD, will have to find where I stuck the CD and play it again to be sure. I feel more comfortable with the Guildford County area as being the origin of the rifle.
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:13:06 AM by Dennis Glazener »

ghost

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:00 AM »
You're very welcome, Dennis, happy to help. And that is a very attractive rifle!