Author Topic: how often do you shoot?  (Read 10115 times)

chuck-ia

how often do you shoot?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:47:17 AM »
 Just curious how often you guys shoot. I normally shoot once a week, weather permitting. Or, in terms I can understand, I go through a pound of goex in a month. chuck-ia

Leatherbelly

Re: how often do you shoot?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:52:46 AM »
Hi Chuck,
  I go through a pound every Sunday with my little forty. Anywhere between 50-70 shots.

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
WOW, that is 100 gr. - 140gr. in a 40! That is really sending that ball down range in a hurry.

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »
How much powder do you squeeze into that 40 LB?!  There are 7,000 grains in a pound so a 100 gr load would give you 70 shots...

I shoot once a week between March & mid November, black powder & modern center fire, handguns & rifles.

roundball

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »
My routine is basically a 50 shot session every Saturday morning except during spring turkey and fall hunting seasons...I normally use 40/50grns Goex 3F as target/plinking loads in .40/.45/.50cals

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
  Ok ok, I shoot seventy shots on Sundays, and I have a little left over. Maybe I shoot more shots@ 50 grs of 2f. Three to four pounds a month. Always leave the house with a full horn. ;D  Smoothbore likes more.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:49:09 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:38:22 PM »
I shoot every weekend god willing and acceptable weather.  Some rondys starting where we shoot weekdays and the weekends.   Lancaster coming up end of this month. 

No suppository guns Sorry!  Got enough problems learning to shoot what I have.
Offhand, Chunk, X stix, Smoothy.  Don't count the powder I use up (goex); but it is a fair amount ;)     Life is good! ;D

Offline ehoff

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »
I try to go twice a month, and but lately the is average one.

timM

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »
Very nearly once a week! tim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Normally at least once a week, except for the past few months.  Thankfully I'm getting back and will be up to my usual once+ a week before too long.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
Once a week to the range, at least - more often in warm weather - which is here at last.  Just last long weekend - I shot 3 days in a row- many different guns- had a blast.  Even shot the longrifle one day and the squirrel rifle the next. Mostly upper range shooting.

I shoot 3F during the winter in both the .45 and .40 and am down to 2 pounds out of 14 pounds starting last November.  I've also gone through 4 pounds of 2f during the same time - which means 14 pounds of black powder since Nov. - so - 6 full months (including 1/2 of October) and 16 pounds of black powder along with 3 pounds smokeless. 19 pounds of powder in 6 months - just over 3 pounds per month average. 75gr. in the .45, 65gr. in the .40 and 70 to 120gr. 2F in testing the new .58 - mostly 70 to 75.  I have to carry 2 powder horns or a horn and a flask when shooting the trail with the .58 as my 2F 'hunting' horns don't carry enough to feed it for 4 hours on the trail. On average - about 3/4 pound for each day on the trail which is every Sunday and sometimes on Monday as well.

A 'good' trail, as LB indicated is 70 to 85 shots.  We're getting to where we shoot a couple to several stations from each post, as these add 'flavour' to the trail. You have to pick a spot through the branches to see a gong, let alone hit it. Lots of fun and teaches one to have steel underneath the sights or the ball goes astray.  It is interesting to see the little .40's hitting as often or more often than the bigger balls from rifles or smoothbores.  The .69 excels at this sort of thing - brush bucking.  Last talk with Brad might find that rifle back in my sweating hands sooner than at his leaving this world.

Oh yeah- flints - a good flint lasts normally 2 trails plus a bunch of 'clatching' at home, sometimes more & of course, depending on the lock - and flint. The same 2 trails uses up 1 1/2 tins of caps and at current $6.95 per tin, I'd say the flinter is cheaper to shoot at 1/4 the cost.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:06:21 AM »
I try to shoot once a week,,, and  two to three times a week for a month before a big match such as State Shoot.  With all the snow and rain we've been having I don't think I've been to the range since March 15th?  That's going to change this weekend!  I hope!!!  :)

tg

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 03:42:02 AM »
Not nearly enough any more use to shoot twice a week now it is once a month at the best, sometimes not that often, something I need to work on.

squirejohn

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
On the average about once a week.  However since I mostly shoot  on my own property, and to keep peace with the neighbors, I limit the number of shots per session to less than 20.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »
A flintlock usually goes for a walk around the farm 3-5 nights a week whether it gets shot or not varies,it depends whats in season or what varmint i come across,If none of the aforementioned are found the solitary cow #$@* works fine to plink at,I like a visual hit.
BTW I rarely shoot paper anywhere >:(....Once the gun is zeroed, that's it :D

Long story short,it gets carried often but not necessarily shot often.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »
Went out testing different loads for 4 hours - burnt off 3/4 pounds of powder - 1/2 pound of 2F and 1/4 pound of 3F - very close to 100 shots.  All shooting was with the .40, and no charges over 65gr.  It was a good day - tested patches from .025" down to .014".

Best results were with .0215" denim patch, -45F windshield washer fluid with a couple squirts of liquid soap in a LHV bottle, shaken, not stirred - and with 55gr. 2F.  Loading was easy, (of course) all day & averaged close to 2 shots per minute.

Lon Baugh

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
I don't have a set schedule to shoot but will go shooting at the drop of a hat. The missus is used to me saying, "Going to the range."  :)  Lots of rendezvous this time of year too.       LB

Robert58

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »
Once a Month, on the Third Sunday. Our Club Shoot. Unless a SYWAT Archery Tournament is that weekend. Then I will miss that Month.

Robert

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:01 AM »
Not often enough.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline elk killer

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
every friday morning..
usally my .54..or the .20 fusil de chasse that i cut down
just shoot 3 fff and carry only one horn,,
good for a hike of 3 or 4 hours out through the woods
never have shot holes in paper
flintlocks only of course
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
I asked a fellow at the range if I could fire a couple on his left target on the 100 meter butt. He said I could "go ahead and fire at it".  Here's the results.  Yeah - I'm a bit right of centre - oh well.  w/14 bore English Sporting-style Rifle
Load -  .684" Pure Lead RB 160gr. 2F .0215" denim patch spit lube.  I had been shooting at the 50 yard range for a while - well over 1/2 pound with light 3 to 4 dram charges, so these 2 shots were fired after 30 to 35 shots had already gone down range with NO wiping at any time.  Accuracy seems to not deteriate with successive shooting as suggested by some competitors.
  This, of course, depends entirely on the ball/patch/powder combinations used.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:56 PM »
Daryl, Where do you find a .684 round ball mould? Nice shooting!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
TKs Robby- the mould was obtained through Pedersoli or some other Italian outfit. It has Itie markings and no full name but is virtually identical to a Lyman Large block mould.  I have another mould coming from England - a .678" made by - Jeff Tanner.  I suspect the .678" mould will be the most use if it will allow me to shoot both WW and pure with heavy patches with heavy loads.   

quigleysharps4570

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
Don't do much paper shooting...but usually hunt every weekend year round.
Been slacking the last few months due to shoulder problems and the weather has dumped alot of rain on us this year.

Offline pulaski

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
quigleysharps
Where do you live ? We don't have a hunting season thats open every weekend up here in the north.
As for shooting , BC (before children) , almost every weekend .
AC , 1-2 per month .