Author Topic: A Utah Deer Hunt  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Matthew1969

A Utah Deer Hunt
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
I was awarded a deer tag for the muzzleloader deer season in the Cache unit of northern Utah. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Utah allows the use of a .40 caliber gun. This is my first trip to the area and I will have my new .40 for company. Nothing stirs the hunting blood like the arrival of a tag. You good folks back east must be amused by this, for that I envy you. Anyway, the hunt begins!
Matthew

nosrettap1958

Re: A Utah Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
Well???? Where's the pic of your 40 caliber rifle?

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
I DO like your rifle.  Good luck on that deer.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
 Is that part of the state mostly sage brush, or timber, and quakies. I hunted in central Utah, and had some of both. But, the aspens were so close together in places a longrifle would have been hard to maneuver through them. Another buckskinner from out here on the left coast, went to the same area two weeks later, and killed a monster out in the scrub brush. Oh well, great place to camp, and enjoy.

Hungry Horse

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:06:25 PM »
I Was looking at the area around Bear lake. Open sage and stands of aspen, pinion, etc. Should be ok to maneuver the gun. Have hunted north of the Hardware ranch years ago. Thick pines were hiding all the deer. Utah definitely CAN produce the monsters, but I will be ecstatic with a representing 4pointer and a close shot.
Matthew

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
Matt;

We were up in the Fish lake area just out of Richfield. I took my trade gun,and killed enough big snowshoe rabbits to feed our camp, and the one next to us. The people up there really know how to make hunters feel welcome.

Hungry Horse

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 04:23:11 AM »
Thanks Matt, beautiful rifle.

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip! Will check it out. Appreciate the comments
.Matthew

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 08:05:23 AM »
Utah's Rules and Regulations R657-5 "Taking Big Game":  R657-5-10 Muzzleloaders:  "A lead or expanding bullet or projectile of at least .40 caliber must be used to hunt big game.  A bullet 130 grains or heavier or a sabot 170 grains or heavier must be used for taking deer and pronghorn.  A 210 grain or heavier bullet must be used for taking elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep and Rocky Mountain goat..."

Your .40 caliber roundball weighs about 93 grains and to be legal for deer with .40 caliber, one must use a conical projectile or else double balls.  Our local game warder here in Vernal recommended the double ball load to me when a friend wanted to use a .40 for deer.  I worked up the load and she killed a buck mulie with it. The same applies for a .50 caliber for elk, etc.  A .50 roundball is not legal weight, but a .54 is.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:11:58 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »
Interesting game laws for bullet/ball and game, thanks Herb.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
Thank you Herb! Man I need to REALLY Read those regs. It looks like the .54 will be up to it and the .40 is the camp gun. Bummer.
   On a side note, my oldest is leaving the Marines after four years of pure joy and returning to college. Heading to Prescott, Arizona. We were thinking of giving the Javelina a try this season and with any luck the .40 will be legal down there. Other than that I think its cottontails and coyotes here, a trip east chasing the bounty they have that this old desert doesn't!
Best to all,
Matthew

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
Colorado is a bit different. We can use from a .40 up for deer, but bullet/ball must be 170gr min. Which means only a .50 PRB can be used for deer, bear etc.

The difference is we can also use the .50 PRB for elk. So, I guess Colorado thinks if you're going to use a PRB for deer it has to be what they think is an elk load.

Makes no sense.