Author Topic: Flintlock lockplate project  (Read 8683 times)

Mark15373

Flintlock lockplate project
« on: June 02, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »
Im fairly new to flintlocks, but  starting a project on one and could use some tips on the lockplate

I have a rough shape cut out and working on the pan next.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:44:32 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Flintlock lockplate project
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:26:16 AM »
Welcome to our world...you'll find it very friendly here. 

Go to Track of the Wolf's web site.  There you will find a variety of flintlocks and yo9u can pick a particular shape to copy there.  their paper cataloque has full sized images of these same locks...very useful for getting the shape exactly right.  I've never seen a lock plate of the shape you have presented...much filing required to make it believable.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Mark15373

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:19:12 AM »
Not trying for perfection here lol just function

Mark15373

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »

Got the pan roughly in place until I tack it on and remove the pins
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:45:24 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:06 AM »
That's got an unusual shaped lockplate. I've never seen one elliptical-shaped. That would cause a very unusual stock shape in the lock area.  What are you basing it on?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:53:16 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »
Mark:  99% of subscribers here are traditionalists and adhere as closely as humanly possible to 18th and 19th century arms.  Your flintlock is a serious departure from that and may generate criticism.  When a poster asks for advice or critique, you'd better be prepared.  No one here will deliberately try to be mean or condescending.  But you'll get truth as we see it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Mark

I started with this drawing to make a flintlock lock

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:46:12 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
Check out this topic, It is not finished yet.  I need to get a serious round tuit.
Jim

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=26825.msg255966#msg255966

Online Randall Steffy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
Welcome to ALR, Mark. You are now participating in one of the greatest things since sliced bread for the traditional longrifle enthusiast. Your lock project has brought me curiosity, consternation, awe and a rear-end puckering grimace, but also a real desire to see where this will go! Many of us do not test the boundaries of the traditional and will find it hard to imagine an improvement on the perfect or the need to try. You have a plan and a motivation that I for one look forward to watching and learning from. Keep the pictures and story coming.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
I will say this,it's one heck of an undertaking building a lock from scratch,hats off to you for taking on the challenge. If your going to go this far why not build one that can mate up with a known style rifle?When your done with it it only makes sense to give it a home ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 08:55:07 PM »
  First welcome to the ALR. Second since you are in the very first stages of your lock build stop. Now I would get some actual measurements of a lock you like an proceed. Just my $.02. Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »
  First welcome to the ALR. Second since you are in the very first stages of your lock build stop. Now I would get some actual measurements of a lock you like an proceed. Just my $.02. Oldtravler

Sound advice and I have a foggy idea about locks.
This is off to a bad start.

Bob Roller

Offline louieparker

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »
Mark
Your lock project reminds me of my first attempt at gun building. I had very little idea as to what a lock should look like.. I attempted to design my lock using a tie clasp flint lock pistol  as a guide.  After much work I decided  that who ever designed the tie clasp had no more idea about lock making than I did.
Unlike the information I got from tie clasp designer, you have been given info from people who know what they are doing. Don't be discouraged . Its a wonderful hobby and lots of fine folks willing to help.  Take their advice, redesign and start over.  You won't  be sorry...

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
Not trying for perfection here lol just function
  Actually, it takes a fair degree of accuracy in layout and production re the components and their interaction in order for a lock to work at all.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »
I have never made a lock but if I were to make one, I'm wondering if it would be better to start with the right sized hole for the tumbler(if you were using inner parts from some other maker) and work from there. That's how I did a new lock olate for a Hawken style gun. Just a thought.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »
Mark,

Here is a post that you should look at: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6913.0
Jim Chamber's tutorial on what makes for a good flintlock.

Are you M Cochrane over on the Muzzleloading Forum? If so, we corresponded a bit about this project back in early February  December. J W Everett's thread is strongly recommended.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:45:16 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
Mark,

Welcome to ALR!

As Taylor mentioned, most of us are steeped in traditional flintlock art and craft.  That being said, most of the folks here buy locks as purchased components.  Some of us are skilled enough to take a set of castings from Flintlocks.com or The Rifle Shoppe and turn out a finished lock and a very, very few of us can build a lock from scratch as you are attempting.  There are some extremely important details of lock geometry that  separate a functioning flintlock from a non-functional piece of metalwork.  We are talking about less than a 10% error in dimension and angle!  Only a very few know the relations well enough to build from scratch.  A lock can be built through trial and error but be prepared for lots of trials and errors before you have a lock that works well.

I would suggest buying a lock that has a good reputation for function, like the Chambers large Siler (www.Flintlocks.com), and at least using those internals and the lock plate as a template for what you want to build.  You can get a small Ketland lock from Chambers.  You could make the lock you pictured from a Small Siler.  I think that such a path would be a better route for a beginning builder. 

I'm currently working on gun #18.  On one I used a small Siler kit from Chambers, modified it to a 1750 form, and used it to build the pistol nobody here likes.  That was a lot of work!  I learned a lot in the process.  I ended up with a pistol that is fun to shoot.  But nothing breeds success as well as success!  On subsequent guns I used Chambers locks that I modified to fit the gun I wanted to build.

Good luck!  And remember, you are amongst friends!

JMC
John Cholin

Dave Patterson

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:07 PM »
... I have a foggy idea about locks.

Bob Roller

I woke The Bride, laughing, when I read this.

Yessir; I'd have to agree.  In fact, that may just be the gross understatement of the year.   ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
 Dave when I read Bob's response, well I'm still laughing. Yep Bob just might know a thing or two about it!!!!! Oldtravler

Mark15373

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
After reading all of these posts im gonna re design,as I said it's my first attempt so with that will come much trail and error and I looked into buying locks but all the ones I saw qere upwards of $200 if any of you know where I can get some cheap parts or locks please let me know thanks

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
Hi Mark,
A Chamber's lock at $175 is a real bargain.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

thimble rig

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:19 AM »
He also has siler lock kits for 115.00.If you still wanted to try and build a lock.

Offline Goo

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
There is a casting set on eBay for $75
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Mark15373

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 11:29:45 PM »
Its been a while, haha finally got going on this project again. i scrapped the first idea and did some more research over the last several months and started on a new lock with the links are the pictures of what i have so far the lockplate was sent to me by howard and i grinded out the start for the pan and started on the mainspring which i used an old file good high carbon steel, still needs some ajusting and tempering.
https://ibb.co/nbg0ZG
https://ibb.co/mguyMw
https://ibb.co/chK9Tb
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:48:06 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Mark15373

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:41 PM »
do you need a bridle in your lock? ive seen a few locks from videos and such online that dont have one just the tumbler and sear. cause the only use is to hold those two in place correct?