General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Shop Stump Prep for Anvil

(1/4) > >>

elkhorne:
I am trying to get my basic blacksmithing equipment set up. I acquired a nice Peter Wright anvil several months ago no have been trying to locate an appropriate stump to mount it onto with no luck until last week. A neighbor cut down several large oak and pine trees down and I acquired a stump from each about 24" high and almost level. My question is how should I prepare and preserve these stumps? I am going to try my final leveling with a belt sander and am wondering if I need to seal the top and bottom with some form of spar varnish like you would on a stock blank. Also, is it best to leave the bark on these stumps or remove it? Loki g to some of you all that have been there, done this and got the tee shirt from your experience! Thanks.
elkhorne

snapper:
I simply cut my stump with a chain saw, and put it in the shop.  It is still there and functions perfectly.  Mine is bark off, but that is simply because the bark had slumped off before I cut the stand.  My stump also functions as a place to stick 3 hawks and a knife when they are not being thrown.

Fleener

PPatch:
Remove the bark asap, it is easier to do when the wood is freshly cut. Sealing the ends is entirely up to you. sealing will slow the release of moisture and perhaps prevent any major cracking.

dp

Shovelbuck:
I've never gone to much work other than cut square and attach anvil, but here's what a local smith does here.................
http://www.blksmth.com/Anvi_base_preparation.htm

KentSmith:
My forge is outside covered on two sides and overhead.  I found some old creosote and sealed the bottom of an oak stump because I put it 6 inches in the ground, leveled and left the top cut from the chain saw because I eventually burn a slight depression in the wood for making ladles and such.  Also helps working butt plates.  The stump is large enough for my anvil and a depression plus a few odds and ends I am using at a given time.  This stump is 12 years old.  Am looking for another couple, one for my son's anvil and one for a swage block I picked up.  Need to find a large oak recently cut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version