Author Topic: Oregon Barrel Company  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Bill Raby

Oregon Barrel Company
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:32:07 AM »
   I am trying to decide what I want to do for my next build. Likely start ordering parts next month. I have a few realistic choices that I am thinking of, but I also got this crazy idea that a 4 bore might be a lot of fun. I see Oregon Barrel Company makes a 4 bore barrel. Does anyone here have any experience dealing with them? How is the quality of their barrels? The website says that it might be a 90 day wait. Is this realistic at all? Or is a 90 day wait likely to last for 500+ days?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Oregon Barrel Company
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
The quality will be there if past experience is an indicator. 4 bore won't be a tack driver and after you shoot it once you might have to wait 500 days before you shoot it again. An average casual shooter reaches his limit around 20 to  14 bore. A true 4 bore round ball will weigh over 1700 grains, you can take it from there.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
The Oregon barrels are made with the tooling from the old Montana, and Orion, barrel manufacturers, and are of equal quality to those offerings. I have three barrels I'm currently using, two Montanas, and one Orion, all are good shooters. Oregon is owned and run from The Gun Works, which is owned and run by Joe Williams and his wife Suzy. They are good people to do business with.
 Those massive 4 bores used to show up periodically at the north coast Rendezvous, and got a lot of attention. But one thing they all had in common was they had more previous owners than they had shots out of the barrel. The problem with Oregon barrels for me is they are only offered in shorter lengths, unlike Montana, and Orion's former offerings.

Hungry Horse

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »
   I am trying to decide what I want to do for my next build. Likely start ordering parts next month. I have a few realistic choices that I am thinking of, but I also got this crazy idea that a 4 bore might be a lot of fun. I see Oregon Barrel Company makes a 4 bore barrel. Does anyone here have any experience dealing with them? How is the quality of their barrels? The website says that it might be a 90 day wait. Is this realistic at all? Or is a 90 day wait likely to last for 500+ days?
   Oregon barrel  co. will probably be the best outfit you ever dealt with.  Their barrels are super good and I have never seen a better finish on the  out side.  Joe is a great guy. The price is well worth what you get. I have known him for over 20 years and never have been disappointed.  He is totally honest.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.