Author Topic: Clauss/Klaus/Clause  (Read 871 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Clauss/Klaus/Clause
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2024, 02:15:02 PM »
Any chance we could talk you into a few pictures, please?   ;D ;D

Thanks for posting.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2024, 05:51:32 PM »
For the 1800 census, the only Blue Mtn Claus family is Christian's widow as I noted above.  None elsewhere up there in Lynn, Heidelberg, or nearby.  I checked over in Berks in Albany and Greenwich as well.

1810 census, there is a Jacob Claus in Heidelberg and Adam Claus and Christian Claus (this would be Christian Jr) in Lynn.  So that's 3 boys total.

1820 census, Henry Claus in Heidelberg age 26-44, Jacob in Lynn 26-44, Adam in Lynn 26-44, and a new one, Phillip in Lynn, 26-44.  I cant find Christian jr, but between the 1810 and 1820 records, that makes 5 which does match the 1800 census of males at home with ma.

Two of these Claus boys are buried in the old Ebenezer Lutheran church cemetery (Lynn twp church), Adam (II) Feb 9, 1781 to Dec 11, 1854 and Heinrich (Henry) July 22, 1789 to Dec 2, 1859.  There may be others but some stones are gone and some are unreadable.  I would almost bet most of them are there, just missing stones etc.  Even if moving away to the next township over, distance is not terribly far and most people want to be buried with their people.

1830 census shows Henry in Heidelberg, 40-49 yo and Jacob inb Heidelberg, 40-49 yo.  Nathan, son of one of these two, is not listed in Heidelberg until 1840 census.  Allegedly his dates are 1812 to 1885.

Will try to find more verifiable info and try to dig up some church records.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2024, 06:36:18 PM »
Eric ,  I have a fancy relief carved Lehigh rifle signed Christian Claus with a liberty head engraved on the fore end wear plate . I haven't looked at it for 30 years. There is one in Johnston's book Kentucky Rifles 1750-1850 that it states it is signed but it is not signed . I Think they stated it was signed Moll but there is no signature on it . T he one I have was my very first Kentucky rifle.

moseswhite,
I'm sure most everyone here would really like to see pictures of your rifle!
John
John Robbins

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2024, 07:21:47 PM »
So we are getting reports from multiple people of rifles signed either C Claus or Christian Claus.

Here's where it gets tricky.  Which one are we talking about? 

Christian Sr died in 1797/1798, this is not in question.

Christian Jr - I have no dates on him at all as yet.  He only turns up on the 1810 census, in Lynn twp, then vanishes.  Is he an eldest son that is the male 16 or older on the 1790 census?

If you name you firstborn son w/ family name, do you name him after yourself or your father?  Adam (II) was born 1781.  Is he firstborn son, or is Christian Jr firstborn and just missing (at the moment) a birthdate?

My guess is a deep dive in church records would answer this.  That's going to take some time.

So Dick had the rifle - unsigned - that has the 1794 date in small nails on the toe.  There are other rifles clearly my same man that are alleged to be signed with a Claus signature (I say alleged because I haven't seen them but again, no reason currently to doubt).   Assuming the date is authentic (I've seen the gun, see no reason to doubt it), is the date referencing the date of manufacture or a commemorative date?  If we assume manufacture, it can't be Adam or Henry.  Jacob and Phillip I have no dates on yet, nor Christian jr.

Just thinking out loud.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2024, 07:26:12 PM »
AND, #18 on the 2010 Lehigh CD does appear (speculative) to be the earliest of any of these rifles, but clearly ties in with all the later rifles given the box engraving, the carving, and the "angry face" (I'm calling that, trademarked!  hahahahahaha).

Is this rifle signed?  It is merely listed as "Claus."  Does someone here own it?

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2024, 08:47:25 PM »
I'll see if I can locate it .

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:41:07 AM »
Eric,

The 1794 rifle is pictured in one of the KRA books as well. I almost bought that from Dick, it’s a good gun. Keep it coming always interesting.

Noel