Author Topic: Went shooting with a New Inductee Last Sunday  (Read 7114 times)

Daryl

Went shooting with a New Inductee Last Sunday
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
Here's my younger daughter, Carol (oops) - taking a well-aimed shot - her first time out shooting a muzzleloader.  She used her Mother's little modified Seneca with a .45 GM barrel - .440" ball, .0215Denim patch, Hoppe's Plus lube. By calipers, this patch measures a full .024", yet she had no difficulty loading it whatsoever. The barrel has a standard radiused and polished crown with a 3/16" cone. The starter wasn't neded due to the small diameter ball, but made loading easier for her.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:34:15 PM by Daryl »

Harnic

Re: Went shooting with a New Inductee Last Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:20:13 AM »
Here's my younger daughter, Carl - taking a well-aimed shot - her first time out shooting a muzzleloader. 

Carl?  I thought her name was Carol!  Geeze I hate when I have a brain @$#%!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:03:00 AM »
Yes Harry...it's Carol, and she is a very good shot.  I hope she becomes a frequent attendee at our Sunday shoots.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
Always good to hear of someone coming into the sport.  You can bet she has a good teacher!   :)

Leatherbelly

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
 Sorry Daryls,
  I thought being your daughter,she must be an old hand at this. She shot pretty darned good for a newbie.Great going Carol! Hope you come out more often.Us old guys' bark is bigger than our bite!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »
Yes, need the young ones or we will have to fold the teepee and fade in to the sunset! :(

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
Ah, the best of times!!  She's obviously had a good teacher of firearms and shooting position basics.  Nice open stance, raised elbow in line with shoulder and rifle, firm grip with thumb around wrist (note good stock fit also), a firm, but not too tight support for the forearm, nice cheek weld to comb and the tip of her finger on the trigger for best feel and control.  No bad habits there!!  Well done!!!   

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
With the shooting she did that day the smokepole, she might now have passed the 160 shot mark - total - including her hunting rifle. She's a newbie to the shooting sports. She has never fired a .22LR or anything but 5 shots from my Hornet off the bags and maybe 100 shots from her .260 Rem. Last time out, I had her shoot elbow rest (no bags) off a concrete bench, with the scope at 4X - she was shooting at a black sil. of a muley with no aiming point. She asked where to shoot it and I merely told her to 'kill' the deer.  The 10 shots went into 1.8", with 8 of them in 1 1/8" using the .260 with 160gr. RN's at 2,350fps, a 6.5x54 duplication load - ie; soft recoil.

Women do exactly as instructed.  BTW - 1.125" is the best I could do with that light load off the bags - I was rather 'tickled' with her shooting. She shoots like her Mother- used to.

I love teaching women to shoot. TKS  Candlesnuffer & G. Hansen.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:46:12 PM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
I think it's great having a new generation start off the right way.  Makes one feel, well, hopeful.  I'll be working with some kids at the range this weekend with modern equipment but hope to get some interest started in developing a muzzleloading program.  Right now there's very little activity along that line.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
He He, thanks Taylor, I knew she was Carol, just teasing Daryl!  She has a great shooting stance, definitely got it in her genes!  Hope she's coming to Heffley this year!

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »
Had the shutter gone off a split second earlier, you'd have seen a slightly more forward position, not much. This picture is showing slight rocking back due to the recoil.

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 03:49:30 AM »
Even better...  Head still down and good shot follow through.  It really doesn't get any better.  She's got good solid habits for a rifle shooter, but I'd bet good money that she's got what it takes to be phenomenal with a 20 ga. on a skeet range, with a little exposure and good coaching.   

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:57:45 AM »
Closest thing we have to skeet shooting angles and speeds is sporting clays. That's a bit of a step-up, depending of course on ones preferences & beliefs.  I'm sure she's like trap - but I had quit 30 years ago due to the costs involved and 'ol Dad can't afford to get into THAT game again. It isn't getting any cheaper I don't imagine.  A few boxes now and then isn't bad, though, but that's not the way to become proficient.

Now, to get Taylor's Manton & single 20 bore out shooting some informal handthrown clays, that's different.  Our black powder section has a fairly good trap, but the hand throwers Taylor and I built 25 years ago, are better as to the variety and speed of flight.  We put 3' handles on them - you want to see fast?(if you want, of course - doubles too)

I used one to train my perimeter and riot squad members to teach them to get on the birds fast using the M870's with trap loads, then graduated them to 00 buck shot. Some of the guys excelled - one in particular, my best friend for 29 years now & fellow guard for 20 years - deadliest wing shot going --- now.  Only took a couple boxes to take him from ground sloucer on ducks, to deadly on birds, decoyed or pass shooting and a few more to excel using a riot gun with buck shot on the wingless variety.  When using buckshot in a cylinder bored, short barreled pelter, one must be fast getting on them.  This style of shooting teaches not using the sight at all, which is my preferred method personally, both eyes open, looking at the bird only, point and shoot.  I leave the 'bead's too high, bead's too low, beads wrong colour" to the trap shooters.  I like taking them just 'over the house'.

Offline Collector

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
Daryl,  Not that shooting trap or skeet isn't expensive, but it is definitely ultra-expensive if you're not handloading.  I've been there and done that.  Just a question about something in the photo that just caught my eye.  Is that Seneca set up with a steel  or possibly aluminum ramrod, instead of wood?  Just curious is all.  Thanks,  Gaylord

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
Yes- it has a 1/4" steel rod with a small knob on one end, and screw-cap on the other to protect the threads for the impliments.  The rifle looks better with it's wooden rod, but is too dang light with the wood. The underrib, not quite visible in the picture is dark walnut-stained oak.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
As you can see in this photo- last August @ Hefley Creek Crondy, my elbow doesn't rise to the occasion.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 12:36:49 AM »
Photo doesn't show, or maybe I just can't make out, Carol's shooting glasses.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 06:37:34 PM »
You're right, JC - no glasses - now how in the world did I forget that? Won't happen again.